1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Deluxe Active V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ddwilkins, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ddwilkins

ddwilkins

Dec 21, 2006
    Wilson, NC
    for anyone who has this bass, does it have a wide string spacing? I currently own a Schecter Elite 5 and I'm looking for something with wide string spacing.

2. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    I think it's 19mm.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Fender 5's are not 19mm. I believe 17.5mm-18mm.

4. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Really? That's news to me, I thought they were 19.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I could be wrong but most Jazz 5's I've played didn't feel like 19mm. I also owned a Lakland 55-01 (19mm) and the spacing at the bridge seemed way bigger than a Fender but again I could be wrong! I also owned a Yamaha TRB5 which I believe is 18mm and it seemed wider as well, to me at least!

6. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    My MIM 5 is 17mm. From what I've read different models can have different widths, some being 19mm.

7. All of the ones I have seen had approx 17mm spacing.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I do believe the Roscoe Beck 5 was 19mm but I don't think any of the std. or dlx. jazzes are 19mm.

9. ddwilkins

ddwilkins

Dec 21, 2006
    Wilson, NC
    I want something with wide spacing. There's a yamaha TRB-5 for sale locally, but someone told me that they're not that good.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

They don't know what they're talking about. Yamaha makes great basses. I did own one briefly and traded it away basically because I prefer 34" scale basses. The bass was killer and well made! Is it the Japanese model TRB5 or the lower end TRB1005? Either way, they're both great basses. Try it out and make up your own mind! The spacing is definitely wider than Fender 5's. Mine was 18mm, IIRC!

11. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    +1. Yamaha basses are amazing.

12. Between the two basses mentioned I would take the Yamaha over the Fender ANY day.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I've owned the RB5 bass, and still own a FMT V, the spacing is the same on both basses. I believe it's 19MM. Now I've played a SR5 and that I believe is 17MM. I could not get used to it!

14. kreed

kreed

Oct 18, 2005
    Singapore
    sorry to hijack the thread..but i was wondering how do u tell if a TRB 5 is a series I or series II..and why do some have the P after the TRB? eg. (TRBP5II?)

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The P indicates that it is a John Patitucci sig model, IIRC.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

If anyone knows, pyrohr would!! I could still swear my Lakland was wider! :)

are all the Fender 5's 19mm, or just a few models??

17. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Inactive

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    About 18mm. I had one and sent it back, it was a lemon.The string spacing was pretty ample though. It wasn't 19mm because I can't play on a 19mm. I'll say it was 18mm.
    Do yourself a favor and get an Ibanez instead of a hit-or-miss Fender. If you like 19mm spacing try a Ibanez BTB. If you like 18mm the SRX series 5 strings have 18mm spacing.

18. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    FWIW, the spacing on my MIA Deluxe V is definitely wider than that on my Ibanez BTB 6 string (which is SO wide). I would def. guess it to be 19mm and I'll be happy to go home and measure it this evening. After a couple months and a few gigs with it, I still haven't gotten comfy with it because its so wide.

Peace

19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Actually I just sold my 55-01 and the string spacing at the bridge was about the same. The spacing at the nut was different though.

20. In my long search for a suitable five string to transition to, I made the following discoveries....

Fender MIM V's are approx. 17mm
    Fender MIA V's are 19mm (adjustable via saddle grooves)
    Squier V's are 19mm
    Old Yamaha TRB's can be 19mm
    New Yamaha TRB's are more like 17.5-18mm

FWIW, I ended up with a 55-02. String spacing at the nut, at the bridge, neck radius and scale length all seem to interplay together. I felt I HAD to have a 34" scale instrument, but ended up buying the Lakland...go figure huh?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021