1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale/Trade Fender Deluxe Dimension IV Body…

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by Malak the Mad, Dec 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Price:
    $200
    Greetings, All!

I'm selling this Cherryburst Fender Deluxe Dimension Bass IV body + pickguard. The body is clean and fresh from The Stratosphere, as is the eBay purchased pickguard. No hardware or electronics have been installed. Basically, it was a projekt I started, but decided to turn my energies, along with that sweet bound & blocked neck towards another build.

Two items I feel should be disclosed…
    1. If you are thinking of installing a soapbar pickup without doing any additional routing, a squared-off portion of the pup-route is about 38mm x 89mm. Anything bigger and you will need to remove some wood.
    2. The Deluxe Dimension necks have 21 frets with no overhang. A 20-fret neck will fit in the pocket (see pic below), but some modifications may be necessary to maintain the 34" scale length. For example, if you want to mount a bridge using the factory pilot holes, it'll likely need it's saddles pushed further back or some shimming of the neck pocket. Otherwise, one might simply install the bridge a little further back…your choice. ;)
    3. New info came to light, so ignore #2. (See reply #5 below)
    I'm asking $200 shipped to the Lower 48 States, which is less than the total cost of these parts. However, I am amenable to trades, specifically for a Sunburst or Cherryburst four-string Jazz body. Make me an offer and we can see what can be worked out.

As always, if you're interested in this pristine body, and you happen to be in the Delaware/Eastern Pennsylvania/New Jersey/Northern Maryland region, a face-to-face transaction is definitely doable.

Cheers!

2Qte3BA.
    Ebu7Xoi.
    N5j47bg.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    ctmullins likes this.
  2. Malak the Mad

I have to stop looking at my own ad, partly because that body is so damn pretty, but especially since I just discovered a soapbar made by Bartolini that should fit in that peskily proprietary pickup pocket. :banghead:

(Oh, and +5 points for alliteration! :bookworm:)

ctmullins likes this.
  3. Malak the Mad

Price dropped to $200! :greedy:

4. What are the dimensions of the neck pocket?

5. Malak the Mad

Standard Fender bass size. Apparently, I'm going to have to edit my initial description. I dragged out an MIM Standard Jazz neck to check it's fit against the existing pocket and screw holes. Turns out, it's a perfect fit…go fig! :confused: It would seem that the aftermarket neck pictured above needs a teensy amount of shaping and sanding to bring it in-line with other Fender-based parts.

Then, to be extra anal retentive thorough about it, I dropped a bridge into place and measured the scale length and it looks like it'll match up just fine. The saddles might have to be pushed back a slight bit (at least, compared to others I've done setups for), but nothing outrageous.

So ultimately, it should be able to accept most standard necks and bridges. :thumbsup:

lowfreqgeek likes this.
  6. I asked because I have a 21-fret G&L neck (no overhang) that needs a home and if the heels were somewhat close enough, I'd be interested in making that happen. However, I already know that it won't work very well with the standard Fender neck pocket as I have several of those, too.

Thanks, anyway, and GLWS!

Malak the Mad likes this.
  7. Malak the Mad

No problem and thanks for asking. You spurred me, albeit unintentionally, into doing some important research regarding this body. (Of course, you also got me thinking of grabbing a maple, bound & blocked Squier VM '70s neck for this projekt, but that's neither here nor there, right? :facepalm: :rolleyes:)

lowfreqgeek likes this.
  8. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Dimensions are such good playing basses (and lightweight). I have a mim standard. The neck is great. If I could find another pickup for it I'd whip out the router, but I've never seen any pickups for sale. I have to hope that eventually some will make their way to the market. Beautiful body, GLWTS.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  9. Malak the Mad

I've gone ahead and ordered the Bartolini pickup for this body. If it all comes together to my satisfaction, either I'll keep it or list it in the "Basses" classifieds. Time will tell. Still, if someone interested comes along, don't hesitate to inquire about this body.