1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Deluxe Jaguar Bass ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xUptheIronsx, Oct 27, 2013.

1. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    Do any of you know if the Cobalt Blue Deluxe Jaguar Bass is available?

I am planning on getting this bass as a graduation gift to myself, but it seems like the Cobalt Blue ones are very elusive...

am I just crazy?

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It looks like there's a production hiatus with this model in all colors, which is not unusual with the Dyna-Gakki MIJs.

I own one of these. Not a fan, certainly not in blue. :meh:

3. xUptheIronsx

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    ..meaning that you own a blue one? That you might want to sell? ;)

I played my friends at rehearsal last night and I loved it. Never thought I would, i expected it to feel like a toy, but it felt great, and had a sound right in between a p and a j, which are the other two basses I own and play.

Plus, blue is my fav color. There i nothing that doesn't look bad in blue to me, but to each his own. The one I played was the Hot Rod Red, which would be my 2nd choice.

4. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I'd keep an eye on the for sales here and an eye on ebay. I love the Jags. I think many dismiss them for their sort of over the top retro look, but mine play like gangbusters.

5. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I saw one for sale at House of Guitars in Rochester, NY (585-544-3500) a month or two ago. I noodled around with it for a few minutes and liked it immediately. Seems like a very versatile bass -- cool color, too.

6. Love my jaguar. It's my main squeeze. I agree it's between a p and j. Has that clear definition and sharpness of a j but sits fatty in the mix like a p, which was always an issue for me previously with other j basses. Not sure where to find a cobalt blue one, but just had to chime in on my extreme appreciation for this bass.

7. grenadilla

grenadilla

Aug 22, 2011
    alabama
    Cobalt blue is no longer being offered. Only red and sunburst. Check around for 2012 models.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    No.

Most people -- the vast majority -- simply won't buy a blue instrument (I've discussed this many times here over the years), which means you're really going to take a hit when you resell it -- or try to. Most people don't want to look at a blue instrument, which normally makes it a poor presentation choice for gigging, though you almost certainly have more significant worries.

Irrespective of color I just think, with very good cause, that it's a terrible instrument, a gimmicky marketing exercise in excessive, noisy and fragile electronics. The one thing in the favor of the current production is that they apparently got rid of the crappy original ceramic pickups and cleaned up of the worst problems with noise, which was appalling on the originals.

I had to spend a lot of bench time clearing up problems on mine, and they are a lot more complex than the ones bubbas here got carried away with back when that mainly revolving around inept shielding. I got it all tamed, but was amazed at how much screwing around it took.

And for what? A cigar box full of cruddy kludged electronics and fragile slide switches and edge-mount pots? Sorry, no thanks!

Then there's the issue of the whippy neck that's further weakened at a critical spot by a head-end trussrod adjustment hole. It may never be a problem, but I'd never string it up with the sort of heavy strings I normally use.

I got mine (in 3CSB, the most popular color by miles and the easiest to get out from under) when they were dumped for under $500 a few years back, purely out of curiosity. Dyna's build quality was very nice, as it usually is, but the idiotic gimmick electronics were such a pain I never warmed up to it. After getting it where it worked as quietly as the design ever would, I just put it away. I didn't play it a half hour, tops. I was just disgusted with it.

The later various Jaguar basses made a lot more sense (except the efftarded upside-down one). It's too bad that Fender doesn't make a nice passive MIJ version minus all the junk electronics.

9. xUptheIronsx

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    hmm...not to start a fight, but I would like to see the empirical data supporting this. I have a blue drum set that people really like; numerous guys here in town play with blue basses and guitars that look great.

Plus, I don't plan on reselling it. I am a pack-rat (to my demise sometimes) so I would probably keep it forever.

Hmm...I will keep this all in mind as I check around. The one I played this weekend has shown NO signs of any of these problems, but I think it is a 2012 model. He uses it at every prax and gig and has never had a problem. I still have 6 months to see if the GAS passes, and am looking for this exact kind of feedback

10. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I love my Blue P-Bass(Steve Harris). I love that blue Jaguar. I have a mint Jag neck and I've been searching for a Blue body for a long time. People compliment my Blue bass at every show for the looks & Sound. The Mirrored Scratch plates helps it look cool too. It's a matter of taste. Certain people have a completely negative view of everything so just ignore it. IMO

11. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Jaguar Deluxe was one of my best bass tones....ever! Loved having the tone dials up near the top and the in-out switches for pickups and active. I thought it had great looks too. Not your every day boring Fender.

12. bass geetarist

bass geetarist

Jul 29, 2013
    toronto
    Funny to hear about blue not being a popular bass colour. I would love to know where this idea came from, as I had not heard it before. I had actually considered picking up the deluxe jag, and really wanted it in blue as well.

A friend had the sunburst model, but he didn't like it and got rid of it. His main problem was that the bridge pickup sounded thin. As per Sleeq's post about the hot rod, the bridge pickup has been moved further away from the bridge, likely to mitigate this problem.

13. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Fender moved the bridge pick up from the 70's Jazz position to a position between the 70's Jazz and the classic position. Or maybe the other way round. I have two and the bridge pickups are located differently

14. Deluxe Jags rock. I have the Hot Rod Red kind and I love the retro look.

15. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    According to MI Salestrack Blue is the 7th most popular color for bass. Black, Sunburst, Natural, Red, White, Gary/Silver, blue, brown, burgundy. I play a blue bass. Actually G&L Emerald Blue. I think Lake Placid and Sonic Blue are pretty mainstream colors. I wouldn't let the color affect my purchase at least as far as resale goes.

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I've discussed this many times here over the past decade or so. It's true and lots of people have complained about it when finding it out the hard way.

Unless it's "forced," as it is with some models, it's a very tough sell -- as are many other colors. FMIC says that over half of their instrument sales are 3CSB, when it's available. Most of the rest is taken up by naturals, blondes, 2CSB, whites, black and the more neutral colors.

They don't make many units in the less popular colors, and retailers don't welcome them because they don't move anywhere near as fast. Sometimes they never move until they get blown out. I've seen stuff sit literally for years, while several shipments of the regular colors came and went.

Store used buyers are trained to cut the price offered for on instruments not in the bread-and-butter colors, blue being the kiss of death.

A lot of cheap stuff like Squiers and MIMs are "forced" in colors that would be hard sells in, say, an American Standard and people don't much care, "well, it's only three hundred bucks, so let's go crazy here." When it comes to parting with real bucks, people get really conservative.

It's interesting that bubbas here gripe about wanting to see stuff offered in more colors, but they rarely actually buy them when they are.

Anyone with a decade or two in gear retail will back me up on this.

Sure, there are a relative handful of people who actually want to buy a blue or green or whatever color on purpose, and it's great if you can accommodate them, but they're in a really small minority...and in retail you go for the numbers.

FMIC makes limited numbers of unusual colors to give the marketing illusion of vast choice because it's attractive to people even when they don't personally buy into it. This is really fascinating, but beyond the scope of this thread.

If you want a blue instrument, go for it -- but in a store hold out for a hard discount on it. You'll probably get it, because they really, really want to get rid of it. I have a few nice blue guitars I got at about twenty cents on the dollar just because they were BLUE.

17. bass geetarist

bass geetarist

Jul 29, 2013
    toronto
    Wow, I had no idea. I've only recently joined TB, and haven't heard this from any of the bass/guitar players I've known.

I've actually always wanted funkier colour instruments, like sea foam green, lake placid blue, and lots of other greens, purples, oranges, blues... that I've seen, but wound up with instruments in black, sunburst, red, white, or natural, as those were the colours available to me (I do love natural though).

I'll have to think twice about that $2000+ SG deluxe I've been gassing for in fluorescent green...

18. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I think Bongo is way over exaggerating. In any given month Blue is no less popular than White, Green, Brown, Gray/Silver, even red or natural in some months. You don;t get a discount on a guitar because it's blue. You get one if it's been sitting for a year regardless of color. We aren't talking about Gold Sparkle or some graphic of Santa Claus riding a dragon here. Stores will stock plenty of Sonic Blue and Lake Placid blue. Fender's recent Metallic blue did just fine, G&L sells a ton of Blue Burst.
    Blue is a perfectly cromulent color.

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I'll go with FMIC's data on this, thanks, and personally listening to people gripe about trying to unload non-standard colors for over forty years.

It's not about whether you like tangerine or green or blue sparkle, but whether the market does.

And it doesn't.