Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Deluxe Jazz 5 String FMT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sanctum, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Has anyone had a chance to play / see one of these yet? Aint one to be found in St. Louis and I was told they arent shipping yet. I think I need to order one :D

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They've been shipping for a few weeks. Here's a thread:

FMT

3. ok thanks , please end this thread now

4. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Brad Johnson got one and posted a lot about it. Do a search on FMT.

elwood

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Gotta love this place. I heard Brad got one;)

7. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Brad,

Kinda going off topic, but I read your review of the FMT and remembered that you had an Am. Jazz Deluxe 5 w/ a J-Retro. I'd like to pick your brain about something.

I love the sound of my Am Dlx, and the J-Retro really enhances the tonal spectrum of the bass. However, I continue to get lackluster performance from the B string. The output just doesn't seem to on par with the other strings. I continue to use the Fender taperwound strings and the stock Noiseless pickups.

Have you encountered similar problems with your B? I'm open to any suggestions that you might have tried that make the B sing like the other strings.

Thanks,
    Bones

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I currently have SIT Nickel roundwounds on mine and the B sounds big live. I have (I think, they're the stock strings) Fender 8250 Nickel rounds on the FMT and the B sounds bigger and tighter. They're mediums, the SITs are light. I'm considering trying the 8250s on the J-Retro'd JD5.

I don't use flats or tapewounds so I wouldn't know what to tell you. When I play either of these Fenders live they sound very full and only sound like rounds if I slap. I keep mentioning live because, as nice as they both sound played at home, live they just kill me;). Nothing like gig volume, I guess.

9. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Brad,

Thanks for the response. I guess I could have been more specific as I have been using the Fender 8250 strings with the tapered B and E. I might just have to give these SIT nickels a try when I change strings next.

Best Wishes,
    Bones

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's what I have on the FMT. The fretjob is so nice, the action is low and while these strings are much stiffer than what I have on the JD5, they require very little effort to put out a big sound.

11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    brad who?

12. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Ha! Where'd those posts come from? Now, they weren't there when I posted! Honest.

In that case, never mind...

elwood