1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Deluxe Jazz 5 vs Lakland 55-01

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BeaverBass94, Jan 8, 2012.

1. BeaverBass94

BeaverBass94

Jan 3, 2011
    Both are active and ideal for what I need, also in same price range. Which would you choose and why?

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007

I just got one in and the fit and finish on this bass are as good as most US production basses that I have owned. The Low B is better than most as well...including 3 U.S. Fenders that I've owned. It plays great!

However, I'm not crazy about the electronics. Some like them and some don't, so I'm going to upgrade mine. However if you don't wanna upgrade now, I still find them usable. If you decide to upgrade them later, you can.

With upgraded electronics the 5501 goes from being a great instrument to a world class one IMO. :)

3. BeaverBass94

BeaverBass94

Jan 3, 2011
    how would you describe the sound? still got enough punch for rock, i have 2 p-basses which can do that, but need something that can be more versatile as far as sound goes. It's clear the Lakland has better hardware etc.

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Rock? Absolutely.

I also play Worship music with it.

Here's a clip of an 01 on a Michael Jackson.

IMO a bass is only as versatile as it's player. Even though I'm not big on the stock electronics, I can still find usable tones with them.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'd take the Fender. I much prefer its sound.

6. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Jul 4, 2010
    west texas
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    i think the 01 gets a pretty good marcus miller or hi-fi type tone out of it. the fender sounds like a fender. on quality alone, i would go with the lakland.

7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I look at the 5501 as an investment in a way. It's better built and has better hardware. It's usable as is and is very giggable. If you decide to upgrade it, you're gonna have a bass that will rival anything under $2000.00 in my opinion. :)

Believe me...I'm not one of these guys that always pushes a Squier or MIM or inexpensive bass over a more expensive bass because generally, you get what you pay for. I've had most production models: Fender (US, MIM, MIJ), Music Man, Warwick, Spector (Euro's & Legends), Yamaha (MIJ), Peavey (USA), G&L (USA), Ibanez (MIJ, MIK), Squier, Schecter, and more.

I've had lower line to top of the line and of all these basses typically the US made stuff is what I've liked the most and what felt the best, had the sound I wanted, and was worth my money. With that being said, the Lakland 5501 competes with most all of them. It's not just a great bass because of the money. It's just a great bass. I love the neck and the design of the bass. Not so big on the electronics, but that can be fixed...pretty easily.

8. I kept the Lakland and sold the Fender. The Lakland low B is much better than the MIA Fender Jazz V I had. Ironically, I had a MIM Jazz fiver that I should have kept. The low B was comparable to the Lakland.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have a 55-01 and I think I'd go with the Fender Dlx.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The OP doesn't make it clear if the Fender is MIM or MIA. I think a MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe V is a killer bass. If you want an actual Jazz bass, the 55-01 is not even close. I agree with Madbassplaya that a 55-01 is a great platform for mods, but I don't think it is a superior Jazz substitute.
    MIM are quite good also, but my experience with Jazz Deluxe Vs is very positive.

11. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    This is why it's important to buy the best bass for you, lol. DW has one and would rather have the Fender, I've had the Fenders and would honestly pick the 5501 as well as many other basses over the Fender.

This is true. While an MIA Fender is a much better instrument than the MIM I would still be hard pressed not to buy a 5501 and modify it before spending a similar amount on a Fender V. I've never cared for Fender's B string (except the Roscoe Beck).

No, it's not an actual J bass, but with the right pickups I think you can get close. Not pure J bass tone, but close.

I agree, but I think it's a superior bass to an MIM Fender.

I've owned several MIM's and none of them have moved me enough to keep them. I bought one from a guy that ranted and raved about it and how he'd miss it not long after I joined tb and I couldn't afford a US J bass yet. It was an ok bass and I even modded the hell out of it. But it never was great in my book. I've owned several others as well, and none made the cut. :meh:

I've had a MIM Deluxe that I bought new from a music store off Ebay and it was garbage. I ended up having to send it back. It had electronics issues and neck issues. This doesn't mean they're all bad, but it was a bummer and unless I can play one before buying I wouldn't buy one again.

If I were playing 4 bangers, I'd gladly play a Fender (US). I really regret selling one of them that I owned.

But all in all, I am very happy with my Lakland. I was surprised at how much I like it after playing much more expensive basses over the years.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have owned six MIA Fender fives: a Roscoe Beck, 2007 Jazz Deluxe V, 2001 Jazz V Standard, 2008 Jazz V Standard, and a 2000 Jazz Deluxe V, 2001 Precision Deluxe V. The only one with a weak B string was the 2000 Jazz Deluxe V. I love Laklands too, I have owned one 55-01 and two 55-02s (all with Barts.)

I think Lakland is a great choice, I think Fender is usually much better than people give them credit for being.

13. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I've owned several as well.

(All US Made)

1999 Jazz V
    2001 Jazz V
    2005 Jazz V
    2008 Jazz V
    2002 Deluxe Jazz V

I've also played a Roscoe Beck V and the P5 Deluxe (gigged with both).

IMO the top 3 were:

Roscoe Beck V
    2008 Jazz V
    P5 Deluxe

Fender B strings have always been super picky to me. Certain strings helped more than others, that's for sure. Me and a Fender V have just never gotten along, which is a shame because I love a J bass.

For me the Lakland is a better fit and a better bass, but different people like different things.

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    For me the comparison does not even get off the ground, one bass is 35" scale, the other a 34. I've had Fenders that had mediocre B strings, but the new 2010-2011 Fenders are stronger in almost every way, so the 34" scale Fender would get my nod. Just my .02

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think the Fender B string issues stem from inexperienced Fender techs not knowing how to setup a bass for a B string. There are many basses with 34" scale with kiler B's. If a Sadowsky or Ken Smith can have one so can the Fender. The Lakland 55-01 can be modded with Nordy Big Singles and can get really close to a Fender sound. The OP was talking same price range so I'm assuming he's talking about a MIM Fender Dlx V. If those are the choices, then yeah, I'd go with the Lakland. And as mentioned above, they have different scale lengths! So take that into consideration. I love my 55-01 but I love my US Fender Jazz more and will be getting a US Fender Jazz V Dlx in the future. For the record, I have installed a US Bartolini preamp in the 55-01 and plan to swap out the pickups to US Bartolini Classic series P2's at some point.

16. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    Sure he does... he states that they are in the same price range....

Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V: Shop Bass & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend
    @ $799.00

Lakland Skyline 55-01 5-String Bass Guitar: Shop Bass & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend
    @ $824.00

I agree, the Lakland is 35" scale and the Fender 34", but at the price point, with the Lakland, you get graphite stabilizer bars in the neck, a better bridge with string through (if you wish, it's nice to have a choice even if the super long scale strings cost more) and the 3+2 headstock (with the ultralight tuners) as opposed to the 5 inline on the Fender. I had the 4 string Fender Deluxe Jazz and it was .....OK...... I now have the 55-01. They don't sound anything alike.

17. BeaverBass94

BeaverBass94

Jan 3, 2011
    Guys and Girls, thank you very much for your opinions and knowledge, but based on the advanced hardware, versatility and the fact it's something different (I have 2 fenders) I'm going to go for the Lakland 55-01 and then sometime in the future, maybe swap out the pickups.
    Thanks again everyone.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That sounds like a good choice to me! I hope you enjoy your bass.:bassist: