1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Deluxe Jazz bass N3 Pickup replacement. Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bhoff5150, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Hey guys. Just bought a brand new Fender US Jazz Deluxe in the new white blond. I absolutely love the bass and the finish but I'm just luke warm on the sound of it. It's good, but it's not great. Any recommendations on pickup or preamp upgrades? I also have a Lakland DJ5 that is passive and I love how it sounds so I guess I'm headed in the vintage sounding direction, but I'm open to all opinions. Any advice or experiences you can share it greatly appreciated.

2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I have an American Deluxe Jazz V and I like the way it sounds. So how about some Hansen Pickups for your new jazz and run it in passive ?

3. I have the ADLX V and I put Seymoure Duncan Vintage Single Coils in mine with a Sadowsky on-board pre with the VTC. Love the tone. Here is a band context YouTube recording my wife made with her iPhone. You can actually hear the bass pretty well. There is bass "feature" in the turnaround coming out of the first chorus around 1:10 where you can hear it pretty well.

John

4. I'd be interested in some Hansen pickups. I've heard a lot about Fralins and Nordstrands, anyone have experience with those as replacements for a Jazz bass?

5. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I know the Nordstrands are amazing in the Fender Deluxe. I tried buying one that was upgraded to the Nordy's but couldn't quite come up with the cash at the time.