Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass or Music Man Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jul 7, 2001.

1. Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Ernie Ball Music Man Sterling

24 vote(s)
    53.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. which is more versatile?..

....bottom line.......which is better?

2. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    Both questions can only be answered by you. I've seen Jazzes played by bassists all across the spectrum, and Music Mans too. Both are very highly rated.

How does each one feel in your hands, run through your amp, hanging on a strap? How many different tones can *you* get out of each one?

I personally found the neck a bit awkward on the Jazzes that I've played, but others swear by them. I preferred the Music Man neck. But that's just me.

Your opinion is the only one that matters. Good luck!

Kevin

3. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    IMO get a musicman sterling.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get something else.
    There's more around than Fender and MM.

5. like what

6. A Yamaha RBX765A! And a million other things on this board, I'm just plugging my bass.

7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Warwick
    G & L
    Esh
    Marleaux
    Human Base
    Lakland
    Conklin
    Sadowsky
    Status
    Ken Lawrence
    Modulus
    Zon
    Fodera
    Alembic
    Tobias
    MTD

I'm just tired of this Fender/Musicman two-party system. There are so many cool basses around. just open your eyes and ears. :)

8. I would take either one, even though I find the fender to be a bit more versatile. I dont see how you can classify all of those other brands like sadowsky with the Fender and the MM since the price range is so much higher. I have yet to see a $1,000 Sadowsky any where near me.

9. i'm not down with spending more than $1800-$2000 for a freakin' bass you go ahead and buy a $2000-$3000 dollar bass...those Alembics, Zons, Warwicks, Conklins, and Eshs are the most ugliest basses i've ever seen!!!...there's when you're buying a $2000-$3000 dollar bass, then it's past the sound and you're buying because of the looks. Ernie Ball MMs, G&Ls, and Fenders are the best looking basses i've ever seen, they don't look as good as they play...it's all about being humble...

10. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's included in the dots. But they're not so great IMO(!). I think PRS is too guitar-oriented to compete with 'real' bass companies. Their design doesn't work too well for bass. Too expensive too. Of course it's in the eye of the beholder, though.

BTW: It's Paul Reed Smith - JFYI

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you're gonna make a list of basses cause you're tired of the Fender/Music Man 2 party system, why did you put so many Fender/Music Man style basses? :)

If he likes htese 2 basses, he likes these two basses. How do you know he didn't try 101 basses & these are the 2 basses he narrowed it donw 2? :)

Are all of the basses you mentioned in the $1000-$1500 range that these 2 basses are in? I've seen alot of basses on that list that are MAGA $$$ new & used.

They're both great basses, as for versatility, I feel the Fender is alittle more versatile, BUT I like the Sterling better.

12. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm sorry I've had my little rant :oops:

Those examples just came off the top of my head. There's all kinds of basses and all prices in there.
    Of course you're right to do your own choices.

I'd just wish people would look beyond the Fender horizon more often - there's so much to discover in my opinion.
    For example, there's so many great bass companies, especially in Germany, that do great new designs for all tastes and in all price ranges, like Jens Ritter, Marleaux, Human Base, Basslab, Le Fay, etc. The same must be true in the U.S. It just would be a pity to neglect them.
    That's all!

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A simple question sometimes deserves a simple answer. He got that in the second post.

The assumption was made that he's only looking at the two basses. Rants are even better when they're based on something;)

Just a thought.

14. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Personally, I like the Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5 string. Plays well, sounds great, and is very versatile.

FYI, in the used market, some upper eschelon basses can be had in the 1.0 to 1.5K range. I bought my Alembic Essence 5 string for $1,400. Maybe exotics aren't your cup of tea but don't limit yourself, as you might find some bass you'd never heard of that just happens to be the one you love forever.

Happy hunting,

Bones

15. i can always count on Nino.

16. yeah i know that. It's just that those Alembics and Zons scare me. It's like i'm not worthy enough to play em!!!...haha

Ernie Ball MMs...G&Ls...and Fenders look "friendly" to me, and their great basses.

until i actually go to a store that sells G&L L-2000s in Los Angeles and i actually get to try one out before i buy it, i'm going for a Sterling or a Fender Jazz.

I STILL NEED TO KNOW WHERE IN LOS ANGELES THEY SELL L-2000s!!!

17. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    But sometimes you just have to do it anyway. ;)

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I didn't want to throw any more wood into the fire, but since you said G&L L-2000, for get about the other 2 basses :D. I am a very compulsive buying & selling freak (if you haven't already noticed) & I own an '84 L-2000 for about 8 years. I don't play it much 'cause the preamp is alittle shot, but I wouls NEVER consider selling it. The bass is SOOOOO versatile. You have the G&L sound, you can get very close tho the Fender J, P & Music Man sounds. IMO this is the best bass that Leo Fender put his name on. I was on the G&L site & below is the only listed dealer in L.A. <A href="http://glguitars.com/US-dealers/usdealers.html#California"><font color=white>CLICK HERE</b></font></a> for a full listing of G&L dealers in California.

LA CAMERA & DJ
    432 S. BROADWAY
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90013
    Tel. (213)626-4701

You might wanna try some online stores. <a href="http://bassnw.com/gl_special_sale_basses.htm"><font color=white><b>BassNW</b></font></a> sells ALOT of G&L's & thery have a return policy. You would be out ony the shipping if you didn't like the bass.

God luck.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.