Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass Pickguards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JefWes, Jan 6, 2002.

1. JefWes

JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    I'm hoping someone here will have an answer for me regarding my Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass. I want to install a black pearl pickguard on it and was wondering if a Fender Standard Jazz and a Fender Deluxe Jazz use the same pickguard. I plan on ordering the pickguard online and want to make sure I get the correct pickguard. Thanks...

jefwes

2. Isn't there a site called www.pickguards.com or something to that effect?

Sorry I dont know exactly what it is. You could probably do a search and find it cos it was posted not so long ago.

3. JefWes

JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    Went to pickguards.com and unfortunately they do not list a MIM Fender Deluxe Jazz Pickguard. They require a tracing to be sent to them if your instument is not listed in their online catalogue. That's too much trouble.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The answer is no. The Deluxe pickguard is smaller.

5. JefWes

JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    Thanks! That isn't what I wanted to hear but better to know than guess. The bass has a tortoise shell pickguard on it now, but I really like the Black Pearl pickguards better. I've had the bass for a month and like it so much, I haven't played the Stingray since I got the Jazz.

6. Yes you could check out www.allparts.com i thimk they have just what you are looking for ;)

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Jefwes -

I have a Fender original black pearl Jazz pickguard I'm getting ready to return to Musician's Friend (I went with a Warmoth crushed copper pearl on my natural Jazz). If you want, mail me a tracing of your pickguard and I'll see if it's the same size as the Fender part.

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I think that the MIM Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass pickguard is the same size as most Jazz Basses. The one that Munji is thinking of is the American Deluxe Jazz Bass.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    EString ~

Now that you mention it, you may be right.