Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender deluxe jazz bass V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Casey C., Aug 4, 2001.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I went to sam ash yesturday and i tried out a bunch of basses...

of all the basses i tried, i think i like the Fender the best. i plan on buying it soon i get the money for it. does any1 have and comments on it?

other basses i tried (FYI):
    Spector ns2000 (its ok)
    spector nsCR (VERY NICE!! too much for me though)
    ibanez BTB 405 (disapointing)
    peavey milleium or cirrus (ok but too much)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You should also try the Fender American Deluxe P-bass, too ... either 4- or 5-string.

3. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    im getting the affordable version, MIM........

4. Too bad your not in calif, I have one thats midnight wine color for sale for $300. And is only about 8 months old.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive got an mim deluxe jazz 5 that I use as a backup, Overall it's a great sounding and playing bass. The only complaint ive ever really had about it was that after owning it for awhile, a small crack in the wood by the low b string machine head appeared. Id definatly buy a new one over a used one, just in case yours should happen to get the same problem that mine did. Ive noticed this crack in a few of the mim deluxe 5's. And at least if you buy a new one, you'll have a warranty and get a new neck out of the deal if this problem should arrise. But overall I stand by my statement, of its a great sounding and playing bass.

6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    2 things that are deffinatly going to be done to it when i get it: replace the hardware, and replace the pickguard with a black or white perloid pickguard

i don't think ill replace the pickups though until they start ****ting out on me (if the start to shift or cut out..)

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    the pickups and etronics on the mim deluxe, are the same ones they used in the mia deluxe, they're actually pretty good imo, nice even response and good tone. ive had mine for little over a year now and have had no problems with them shifting, cutting out, or any problems at all.

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    does anyone else have gotoh tuners on the mim?

9. I've got Gotohs on my MIM jazz 5, have never sen them on any other fender standard bass though. They could be on the Am. Std deluxe tho....

10. CEGroove

CEGroove

Aug 7, 2001
    San Diego
    As a fellow Californian, your comment caught my eye. Tell me more, please.

11. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    actually in my travels I have discovered that they mim active deluxe J is the best "rock shop" bass for your money. The other basses in that price range just dont agree with me. I am not into peaveys that much, Ibanez electronics NEED direct replacement IMO, and lets not even talk about washburn.

12. CEGroove-
    I bought it from guitar center about 8 or 9 months ago, its midnite wine color, looks excellent, plays excellent, just put on new DR Hibeams, got a couple nicks on it but you wouldn't find them unless I pointed them out! I paid 379.00 plus tax at GC, I'll take 300.00. I have short fingers and when I bought the bass I loved the sound and the low B string and thought I just had to have it, but I have since realized I need to go back to a 4 string, even though I "can" play the 5, my hands are worn out at the end of a set! I really need to get a more comfortable bass for my small hands, the Fender standard is what I have my eye on and its between 299 and 349 dependant upon the finish I choose, so basically I need to sell this before I can pick up a 4 banger...
    Where in california are you?

Jay

email me at Jayat32@aol.com if you are interested, I have pics I can send....