1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M-Hawk, Oct 10, 2010.

1. M-Hawk

M-Hawk

Feb 22, 2009
    Metro Manila
    Hey guys! just wanted to ask if you guys could give me your thoughts on the fender deluxe jazz bass...if any of you guys have played or owned one just let me know what you guys think about it. what you liked and/or didnt like about it. because im thinking of getting one :) and i just wanna know your opinions. thanks! much appreciated! :D

2. bass_lord_mutha

bass_lord_mutha Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Odessa, TX
    American Deluxe or the MIM deluxe? The MIM deluxe is just the MIM standard with active circuitry and Noiseless pickups, but honestly I don't think there's much of a tone difference between that and the standard. The American Deluxe, however, has just been revamped and IMO is much better than the American Deluxe jazzes of a few years ago. For one, the body shape and size is closer to the standard jazz bass body style (the much smaller body on the older Am Deluxe didn't feel very Fender-like to me) and they have the third generation Noiseless pickups, the N3. They switched from the Hipshot Ultralite tuning keys to the more traditional tuning keys found on the American Standards. The active circuitry now has an active/passive switch, and they have a new tuning key washer they call the Strong Arm, which is sort of a washer/single string tree, on the A string tuning key of the 4 stringers and on the E string tuning key of the 5 stringers. We just got a 4 string version in the store the other day, and OMG it is incredible!!!

amdeluxejazz4.jpg

3. M-Hawk

M-Hawk

Feb 22, 2009
    Metro Manila
    Yeah was talking about the MIM deluxe! :) and yeah i read about these american deluxe basses...they are incredible but sadly way out of my budget :/ haha!

4. bass_lord_mutha

bass_lord_mutha Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Odessa, TX
    Yeah, me, too even with my employee discount, hehe.

5. mykstar

mykstar

Aug 31, 2009
    I currently have a MIM standard jazz and MIM Deluxe P Bass Special. Based on the Fender website, The Deluxe P Bass Special and the Deluxe jazz (both MIM) have the same neck. I gotta tell ya, that neck is sweet. It's smaller than my MIM jazz and I also have a friend who's got a MIA jazz bass and my p bass deluxe neck is smaller. I feel more in control of that neck that my standard jazz neck. SO, if the Deluxe jazz has the same neck, that's another thing you got going for ya besides the active circuits.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've had two - both 1997's, both very nice. Stock electronics were superior, fit & finish were nice. I bought mine for ~$650

Next question

7. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I have 2 MIM Deluxes. Got my first one back in 2000, my first real bass. I dig em for their playability, and the preamp is very nice. The stock pickups are the only weakness, they're rather bland, and microphonic to boot. Replace em with something more flavorful, and you've got yourself a KILLER bass.

8. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Inactive

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    For me, it's the only J I'll use simply for the fact that it has a master volume control. (A huge deficit with theJ for me). The Squier J Deluxe kills too. But the ebonol neck isn't for everyone.