1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Deluxe Jazz - Now and Then

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pjmuck, Mar 4, 2008.

1. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Has Fender done any updates or improvements to the Deluxe J this year or since it was first introduced? I had heard that the earlier models (pre-2000) didn't sound/feel as good, but I'm wondering if that's true or not. Some of the newer appointments on the American standard series would be nice (thinner finish, higher mass bridge, lighter tuners, etc).

2. rad87gn

rad87gn

Sep 17, 2007
    rad87gn
    The new Standard Jazz to me has recieved some upgrades similar to a few the American Deluxe already had. The Deluxe still has more upgrades than what the new standard has. There are no new changes this year. I've got two '07 (fretted and fretless) and they are sweet!

American Deluxe Jazz Bass®

Our upgraded American Deluxe Jazz Bass guitar captures the spirit of Fender innovation with its three-band active EQ, pair of Samarium™ Cobalt Noiseless Jazz Bass pickups and 18-volt power supply.

This select alder-body bass has a modern C-shaped, graphite-reinforced maple neck with a contoured heel (for easy access to upper frets), five-bolt neck plate, maple or rosewood rolled-edge fingerboard, abalone dot inlays and highly detailed nut and fret work. Other features include chrome hardware, a variety of pickguards (see specifications), deluxe chrome-plated steel bridge plate (string-through-body or top-load) with nickel-plated brass saddles, and Fender/Schaller® Deluxe Lite-Bass tuning machines.

Model Name American Deluxe Jazz Bass®
    Model Number 019-4460-(Color #) and 019-4462-(Color #)
    Series American Deluxe Series
    Colors (700) 3-Color Sunburst,
    (720) Amber,
    (723) Olympic Pearl,
    (764) Montego Black,
    (Polyurethane Finish)
    Body Select Alder
    Neck Maple, Modern “C” Shape,
    (Satin Polyurethane Finish)
    Fingerboard Rosewood p/n (019-4460) or Maple p/n (019-4462), 9.5” Radius (241mm)
    No. of Frets 22 Medium Jumbo Frets
    Pickups 2 Samarium Cobalt Noiseless™ Jazz Bass® Pickups
    Controls Master Volume, Pan Pot, 3-Band Active EQ with:
    Treble Boost/Cut: +/- 10 db @ 8kHz, a shift in the cut frequency, and about a 2dB slope per octave.
    Mid Boost/Cut: +10dB, -15dB @ 500Hz, and a wide band slope.
    Bass Boost/Cut: +/- 12 db @ 40 Hz, with a 4dB slope per octave.
    Pickup Switching Pan Pot
    Bridge Deluxe Chrome Plated Steel Bridge Plate (Strings-Thru-Body or Top Load), with Nickel Plated Brass Saddles
    Machine Heads Hipshot® Ultralite Tuning Machines
    Hardware Chrome
    Pickguard 3-Ply Mint Green on (700),
    4-Ply Brown Shell on (720, 723),
    1-Ply Beveled Gold Vinyl on (764),
    4-Ply Aged White Pearloid on (782)
    Scale Length 34” (864 mm)
    Width at Nut 1.50” (38mm)
    Unique Features Posiflex™ Graphite Neck Support Rods,
    18 Volt Power Supply,
    5-Bolt Neck Plate,
    Contoured Heel for Easier Access to Upper Frets,
    Abalone Dot Position Inlays,
    Rolled Fingerboard Edges,
    Highly Detailed Nut and Fret Work
    Strings Super Bass 8250M NPS, p/n 073-8250-006,
    Gauges: .045, .065, .085, .110TW (Taperwound E)
    Accessories Standard Molded Case,
    Cable,
    Strap,
    Straplocks
    Case Standard Molded Case
    Introduced 1/2004

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Can't answer your whole question, but I've had several pre-2000, and they all had awful fret work and require serious setup and work by a tech to make them playable.

I have then owned about 3 post-2005 examples, and they all had exceptional fret work and were/are easy to setup with low action and no buzzing, with the exceptions of some rough fret edges sometimes.

The new 18v pre and SNC pickups sound great, but there is noticeable noise - like little cracks and pops and hiss, in noisy situation. All three I tried had the same problem and it is a documented problem for this preamp. It doesn't bother me. \

According to Fender's Website, the deluxes now have Hipshot ultralite tuners; the post 2005 I had all had Schaller/Fender lightweight tuners. Maybe these are still only in the left-handed basses. . .