1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Deluxe P Bass Special Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gttim, Mar 10, 2010.

1. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey,

I just picked up a 2004-5 Fender Deluxe P Bass Special from somebody who knew less than me. No really. I usually play a MIM Precision, and I can understand the two knobs one for volume and one for tone. This Deluxe has 4. I would like to find out exactly what they all do, or are supposed to do.

1st Closest to the pickups appears to be the master volume?
    2nd
    3rd Inner and outer. Inner Treble and outer bass?
    4th

I have searched the Fender website for a manual, but everything id pretty generic and nothing really covered it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    1 Master Volume
    2 Blend pickups
    3 You got it-treble top, bass bottom
    4 Mid

3. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks. And if the (2) blend pickup knob gives me sound clockwise but no sound counter clockwise, my split pickup is not working. Right?

4. Lukejt

Lukejt

May 24, 2008
    Maryland
    Sounds like it. Probably just a cold solder joint somewhere.

5. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The split pickups were screwed all the way down, so probably a connection. I had to do a little bit of set up work on it. The strings were not even an equal distance apart.

6. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    mia or mim, my mia is 1.vol 2.mid 3.tre/bass 4.blend starting from neck back

7. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    MIM. My #4 does seem to control the mid. I was getting frustrated because #1 and #2 seemed to be both master volumes, but that was because of the pickup not working. I kind of guessed something was wrong.

8. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    And after a little work with the soldering iron, and finding a very bad connection, both pickups work and the #2 pan knob pans! Thanks for the help!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020