1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Deluxe P Bass Special Pickguard Replacement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vcs700s, Nov 29, 2006.

1. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
  2. LookIt'sSteve17

LookIt'sSteve17

Oct 31, 2006
    Michigan
    Anodized gold pickguard = horrendous.

http://www.terrapinguitars.com/
    http://pickguards.com/

Give these folks a try... you'll never have a doubt about whether you're buying something that might not fit cuz you can send them your current p/g as a template for the new one.

Andrew M likes this.
  3. warmoth P-bass pg's will fit the deluxe P.

i put a vintage pearl on a passive black/maple deluxe P

4. Zalle

Zalle

Jul 24, 2005
    Sweden
    Totally agree, I also have a fender deluxe precision with the goldfinish on the pickguard, but i will change it to a black one.

5. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    Last night it was late and when I posted I forgot to mention the most important thing- I have the active pickup with 4 knobs instead of three. Any idea where you will find the black pickguard? I was thinking black too, maybe in pearl.

6. Zalle

Zalle

Jul 24, 2005
    Sweden
    Its exactly the same modell as I have, mine is black and have 4 knobs, active, and its mexico produced.
    I love this bass but as the same as you, I also dont like the goldfinish, the problem is that if you or we I should say, buy a pickguard to a regular precision, its a pickguard for 3 knobs, but I think that one could drill an extra hole. the problem is that one hole will not be at the same spot as the other on the deluxe, not sure how to explain, but if you look at a picture of a precision, and compare to the deluxe, the holes are not at the same spot, so thats the tricky one.
    Maybe one could try to put something black for the hole that doesnt fit.
    As I live in sweden I will try to find some replacement at an allparts store.

7. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Gee...I have a P-Bass Special (Blizzard Pearl w/Maple) and I love the Gold Pickguard! Gives it a vintage look....would not change it. If anything I'd love to get a real gold anodized metal one!

8. brandrum

brandrum

Aug 17, 2006
    crazy....I was just about to start a thread asking the same thing....killer bass....I'll be watching this one.

Alik likes this.
  9. Zalle

Zalle

Jul 24, 2005
    Sweden
    I think it would look great with a black or black pearl pickguard on my deluxe, kind of cool. The gold guard is not in my taste. The easiest thing would be to buy a precision pickguard, but as i mention in an earlier message, the holes doesnt match all the way for the knobs, one have to drill one new hole, and the hole that doesnt match must be filled with someting, otherwise...well its a hole in the guard ( where its supposed to be a knob ) a tricky bit to solve.

10. Abalone would be risky, but I think it might pay off...

There's a reason I don't study art.

11. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    Yes, it doesn't look bad at all. I am just not in love with the look. For me, I think black would look better. Maybe because my fingerboard is rosewood. Not sure. We'll see.

12. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I have a black one, and I kind of like the gold for it's vintage-ish look. I have toyed with the idea of changing it though, because I hate the way to metal feels. This thread has given me some good ideas. Maybe I'll go with the white Pearl.

Super Edit: I just switched out the gold for the White Pearloid, and it looks incredible.

thebestpart likes this.
  13. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    Hey, do you have the same bass? If so I would love a white pearloid pickguard. Can you let me know where you bought it?

Alik likes this.
  14. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    I've got the "dark blue almost black" version, love the sound. Hate the weight. But the gold pickguard has to go. Blue pearloid would do the trick.

If anybody knows where to get one that will fit, please post... thx

15. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I got mine at a local music shop. I'd had it on a squire p-bass before, and it just happened to fit my delux p special. The only thing is, when I changed it, there was some major electronic interference. It's currently at the place where I take lessons getting fixed. Since the gold pickguard is metal, this might be a problem that you will run into as well. Don't get sad, just get it fixed!! It's definitly risky to buy a pickguard in the store without knowing that it will fit, but the only place I could see it being a problem is around the pick-ups, where you can easily just a take a file to it and fit it.

16. Don't count on it. I got an Allparts replacement pickguard for my P-bass, it didn't fit around the neck pocket. Unbelieveable really.

17. I'll repeat myself....

At least give warmoth a call. They should be able to add or remove pot holes as you need. if they cant, then nothing wasted. buying a pg that doesnt fit is a serious pain if you're not inclined to modify it.

18. Zalle

Zalle

Jul 24, 2005
    Sweden
    The other solution is to make a pickguard by yourself, I ordered material from Allparts, and took the gold-finish off the bass and draw on the material to get the right size and everything, then I had a saw with a very fine saw blade and started to saw, everything turned out ok, but the thing was that it was to sides of the pickguard material, black it was, but one side was shining black and the other side not, I thought that the not-shining side would be cool, but was I wrong, it looked terrible, I should had taken the shining side instead, so it was to the thrash can, but maybe I will try to do it again, but this time with the shining side.Maybe its kind of good to have made it once, the next time it goes easier, one has to use sandpaper and stuff to make it look good after using a saw. alot of work, but it may be the only way if its no replacements to buy in the store

I also wonder if the original precision pickguard fits the size of the deluxe neck ?...its a must to try in a store or something, otherwise one buys a precision pickguard that doesnt fit the deluxe bass neck.

19. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Remember tho that the deluxe neck is from a J, while the other P-basses use well a P-bass neck ...

Alik and madjazzbass like this.