Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FearandLoathing, Apr 19, 2001.

1. i currently own a Squire P bass and i am thinking of upgrading to a Fender Deluxe P bass (Jazz neck, P body, P and J pickups) made in mexico for around 450 dollars please tell me if you know about this bass or have any advice regarding it.

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Never heard of it, but PJ seems pretty okay to me. I never played so many Fenders, because I have a Sadowsky and that somewhat cured my GAS for Vintage-Style instruments.

Better test it and play it... if you like it - take it..

David

3. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    Are you sure that it's made in Mexico?.I ask because the catalog says the body is made from alder and ALL the other MiM "Standard" basses have poplar bodies.Alder is the preferred wood between the two.It's also available with an all maple neck[that would be my choice] whereas none of the other "Standard" models have this option.It sounds like a pretty cool bass if you're set on buying something new in this price range.You could upgrade it at a later date with a better bridge and run the strings through the body.

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    That would be a MIM Deluxe P, for some odd reason it's also called 'Deluxe P Special'. Probably 'special' comes from the jazz neck, I think Squier P Special has one too.

5. I have had a Deluxe P Special for over a year now and am very happy with it.
    When I bought it I was told that the neck, alder body and pickups were MIA and sent down to Mexico for painting and assembly.

Quality wise it compares very well to my MIA ’74 P bass and MIJ Noel Redding Jazz and I can’t fault this bass in any way.
    The neck is very nice and I like the P/J pickup configuration plus the anodised pick guard.

IMO, for the money, excellent choice.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It's a really nice bass. It used to be called the "California P-bass" but deu to some legal problems (being 1/2 MIA & 1/2 MIM) it's now totally MIM. The features are exactly the same except it sasy MIM on the headstock instead of MIA. I've played a few of them & they were all very comfortable & sounded great. It would be a big improvement from what you currently own.