Fender Deluxe Pbass Special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, May 3, 2004.

1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Are these MIM?

Also, is there a noticeable difference in sound between a PJ bass using only the P pickup and a regular P bass?
  2. Yep, MIM. i tried a couple and with the Jazz PU turned right down it sounds like a P. Pretty decent and cool basses IMO.

Also i have a MIA hot-rod with the same PU config. And when i turn the Jazz PU down i get P-tone. I have problems however trying to duplicate the Jazz tone however. I dont think it can be done unless that second Jazz PU is added.

You do however get an interesting 'somewhere in between' sound though.
  3. I have one right behind me at work. Nice, great sounding, low dollar bass. I gig every gig with it, and the neck is great (it's a J profile) I replaced the pups with Seymours, and the tone is really great. I beat the snot out of it, and it just continues to take it.

All you can ask for, really.

Yup, MIM.
  4. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    thinking of getting a Jazz and PJ. I like the fact that I can get the PJ in black w/maple fretboard (sweet!)....plus I prefer the J neck width.
  5. i think that's the point, no? :smug:

6. More than likely ;)

But it doesnt stop some from trying. :)
  7. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    These are MIM, although you can find a used MIA California Series which are pretty much the same thing. IMO, the difference in the soloed p pickup on the PJ vs. a P bass is nothing you can tell in a band setting, live or recorded. Some disagree.