1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Deluxe plus+ Moses neck equals =??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by odie, Oct 3, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I am in love with my Modulus Q5 but I need a 4 banger. I have a Fender Deluxe that sounds good for a Fender;) :D . But I like the predictability and playability of the graphite on my Mod.

Will getting a Moses neck fitted to the Fender make a combo I might be happy with?? What should I expect for tone and playabilty.

Any opinions or thoughts are appreciated.

2. Odie, isn't that Fender Deluxe a 22 fret model? That might make a bolt in swap a little more difficult.

It's always seemed to me that the longer Fender necks have been treated like red-headed stepchildren by the industry. They are wonderful to play but aren't popular enough to avail many replacements.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Sorry should have pointed out it is a MIM Deluxe. You know the one with American electronics.

I believe without opening the case that it is 20 frets.

4. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Either way, it's not a problem. I had a 22 fret Jazz Plus and had a custom fretless neck made by Moses. Worked great, but I sold it some time ago. I believe there is no extra charge for the 22 fret option.

Cheers,

knight

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thats good to know knight!! But does anyone have a comment on tone???

6. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Personally, I really liked the tone. Classic Fender fretless, minus dead spots, wear on fretboard, and such crap. The looks are what they are -- you either like it or not. But tone is great, and it sustains forever. I wish I'd recorded something with it before selling it.

Cheers,

knight

7. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I just replaced the neck on my geddy lee with a moses MJ-144 neck.

What can I say...Its awesome clear tone all over the neck. The neck is really thin & fast. It did brighten up the tone a bit though, which I dont mind, but others might.

I just did this so I have only heard it through my headphone amp at home. I'll be able to get a better idea of the tone at rehersal this thursday.

8. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I have a jazz neck on a warmoth dinky j body and I really like the tone. I love my L-2000, but I don't feel like it can always cut through the rest of the band. That's what I love about the moses neck, it just cuts right through. I feel like it's a little twangy for me, though, so I just ordered some TI Jazz Flats. I'm thinking that they might balance it out.

The weight and feel of the neck are great. It's a very fast neck. It almost feels like my old Ibanez soundgear neck. Those basses have a lot of good and mediocre things about them, but the feel of their necks is pretty smooth and fast-- it's too bad the rest of the bass didn't do it for me!

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

deepestend -Got any pics of the warmoth/moses bass??

10. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    here ya go...