Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Deluxe plus+ Moses neck equals =??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by odie, Oct 3, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I am in love with my Modulus Q5 but I need a 4 banger. I have a Fender Deluxe that sounds good for a Fender;) :D . But I like the predictability and playability of the graphite on my Mod.

Will getting a Moses neck fitted to the Fender make a combo I might be happy with?? What should I expect for tone and playabilty.

Any opinions or thoughts are appreciated.

2. Odie, isn't that Fender Deluxe a 22 fret model? That might make a bolt in swap a little more difficult.

It's always seemed to me that the longer Fender necks have been treated like red-headed stepchildren by the industry. They are wonderful to play but aren't popular enough to avail many replacements.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Sorry should have pointed out it is a MIM Deluxe. You know the one with American electronics.

I believe without opening the case that it is 20 frets.

4. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Either way, it's not a problem. I had a 22 fret Jazz Plus and had a custom fretless neck made by Moses. Worked great, but I sold it some time ago. I believe there is no extra charge for the 22 fret option.

Cheers,

knight

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thats good to know knight!! But does anyone have a comment on tone???

6. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Personally, I really liked the tone. Classic Fender fretless, minus dead spots, wear on fretboard, and such crap. The looks are what they are -- you either like it or not. But tone is great, and it sustains forever. I wish I'd recorded something with it before selling it.

Cheers,

knight

7. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I just replaced the neck on my geddy lee with a moses MJ-144 neck.

What can I say...Its awesome clear tone all over the neck. The neck is really thin & fast. It did brighten up the tone a bit though, which I dont mind, but others might.

I just did this so I have only heard it through my headphone amp at home. I'll be able to get a better idea of the tone at rehersal this thursday.

8. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I have a jazz neck on a warmoth dinky j body and I really like the tone. I love my L-2000, but I don't feel like it can always cut through the rest of the band. That's what I love about the moses neck, it just cuts right through. I feel like it's a little twangy for me, though, so I just ordered some TI Jazz Flats. I'm thinking that they might balance it out.

The weight and feel of the neck are great. It's a very fast neck. It almost feels like my old Ibanez soundgear neck. Those basses have a lot of good and mediocre things about them, but the feel of their necks is pretty smooth and fast-- it's too bad the rest of the bass didn't do it for me!

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

deepestend -Got any pics of the warmoth/moses bass??

10. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    here ya go...