1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Deluxe Series P-bass Question....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punkindrublic, Apr 17, 2006.

1. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    So im really confused.... Im lookin to pick up a fender deluxe p-bass but im seeing a difference in models... In the picture of it in the review part of this forum the deluxe has 3 control knobs.... But in pictures on americanmusical.com there are 4 control knobs... ????????? Is the 3 knob model just a few years older or what???

2. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    One is passive one is active?:smug:

3. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I _believe_ the big difference is the word "American"....

my American Precision Deluxe 4 string (circa 2000-ish) has 4 (actually 5) control knobs and a dual-j looking humbucker and a slightly different body allowing for a couple more frets on the neck. The controls are as such.

Volume
    Blend
    Hi/Lo Eq stacked
    Mid Eq

It is my understanding that there is an active MIM model with a similar preamp but only a single J at the bridge and the original body shape.

SM

4. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    There is a current MIM P/J combo offered by MF and AMS, and it has both pickups, is active, and has four knobs . . . . I beleive the older (not sure which year it changed, though) variants of this were passive with three knobs.

- Tim