1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Dimension Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by starmann, Mar 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I’m almost certain that it was not offered that way, that all the natural AmDlx 5Hs came with maple and white. Mine is the result of a neck swap between my two basses.

780D96EA-0FEB-489F-8E5B-587B309B85F9.

Tjazz5, lowdownthump and B-Mac like this.
  2. Thanks, didn't think they did. I'm assuming someone may have swapped necks between two basses at some point as well, it looks considerably better with that tort guard though. Did you make that yourself or is someone offering them?

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I had it made by Quickguards - it is a perfect fit. I do like the natural / rosewood / tort combination, too - and my Cayenne Red 5H looks better with the maple and a black PG, I think.

7D945EB3-28ED-490B-8A82-57BEDAC7650D.

Templar, B-Mac and Hank Scorpio like this.
  4. Definitely! Both look considerably better than stock, to me.

Keeping my eyes peeled for a MIA Dimension, limited second hand market isn't helping. Torn between a single pickup 5er, and a 4 string HH model at the moment. I have a Squier version and love the pickup location, but would really like the switching options of the HH. Wish I could justify both!

HeavyDuty likes this.
  5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It was easy for me - I’m a single pickup kinda guy.

Hank Scorpio and rogerbmiller like this.
  6. Same, generally! And I am a fan of the location, very flexible on the Squier. How do you find the B string?

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It’s great, and seeing what the stealth string retainer did for the B led me to install the same on my fleet of P5s. Every bit as good as my EBMMs.

Hank Scorpio likes this.
  8. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just pulled the trigger on my first 5 string, a black and maple 2013 American deluxe dimension V H! I got a slammin deal on reverb for 700 shipped basically brand new and weighs!around 9.8lb. I will post pics and a review as I’ve never played one before

So hyped

HeavyDuty, Rodslinger and Penphoe like this.
  9. Rodslinger

Rodslinger Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    I just put An American Elite Dimension bass V H see through red on layaway at Guitar Center. It will be my 2nd one but a 5-string. Mint condition for $740 I need to find more of these!

Skillet, leamdav and Penphoe like this.
  10. leamdav

leamdav Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Bettendorf, IA
    Hey guys, I want back in with this bass. My first one was a violin burst 5 HH, stupidly traded it. Second one was a natural. Traded it again. Ugh. So I am on the market for a violin burst 5 HH again. If anyone is interested in a swap, I currently have a Warwick Steve Bailey 5 in the classifieds.

Rodslinger and Hank Scorpio like this.
  11. Good luck! Can't stop thinking about picking one up myself.

leamdav likes this.
  12. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    A2DFB0EC-D106-49E2-BC9C-42A7909D9AFE. You can add me to the group!

2013 American deluxe dimension V H in pristine condition (not a scratch anywhere) and set up very nicely .

I didn’t think I’d have such an easy time switching over to a 5 string from playing exclusively 4s for the last 16 years of my playing bass but this dimension is comfortable. I’m Really digging the weight it feels perfect and the asymmetrical oil neck feels pretty great.

While playing at home to some tracks it sounds really modern hifi deep and full . I can’t wait to play with it in a band setting, this thing is going to cut trough the mix so well it’s going to turn some heads for sure

I’m real happy with my purchase so far and hopefully Ill still feel the same way in a few months but it seems like these dimensions are some real sleeper basses

13. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    my only critique, which i think can be fixed by lowering the pickup on the bass strings side and better technique, is that when i slap the B string the string can touch the pickup pole sometimes and make a boom sound

14. Salmiak

Salmiak

Aug 14, 2018
    Sweden
    FBA5BB1B-8540-4FF7-A7C2-43F436CABC3B. I’m a fan! Meet the family
    5 H US Fender
    5 HH US Fender
    4 H Squier

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    BassmanM, HeavyDuty, Farrin D and 2 others like this.
  15. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I completely missed this post back in April and am just now seeing it. Thanks so much for taking the time to do that. It was very nice of you and really helpful.:thumbsup:

Sorry that it seemed like I just ignored your response!

16. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Actually, after re-reading your question, I realized what you were asking and my help wasn't actually helpful. Thanks for the comment though Cutter. :)

Cutter8 likes this.
  17. leamdav

leamdav Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Bettendorf, IA
    I'm back boys and girls! Just purchased this beauty off of reverb today. Great deal. Had one a while back and regretted selling it ever since.

Screenshot_20190831-123610~2.

B-Mac, Tjazz5, Farrin D and 3 others like this.
  18. krimo

krimo

Oct 1, 2015
    Lakewood, Ca.
    Glad you’re back Leamdav!

19. Hi all -

I have a 2013 American Deluxe Dimension Bass IV H (Cayenne). Had Chromes on it in the photo but recently changed to NYXL's to pursue a different sound. I think in general I'm more comfortable with passive basses - sometimes I feel like I'm fighting the preamp to get the right sound - but for this bass in particular I don't mind sometimes being frustrated by it being active. I love everything else about it and it feels so good to play :bassist:

Attached Files:

Tjazz5 likes this.
  20. Iversen

Iversen

Oct 22, 2006
    Denmark
    IMG_2462.
    Somebody give me a number already!

I'm the happy owner of a Fender Deluxe Dimension IV H and a Fender American Deluxe Dimension V H.

I bought a new MIM Deluxe Dimension IV H Natural in March this year. I love it. It's fairly light at 3,9 kg (8.6 lbs) and it's a great player. I play guitar in a cover band, but recently I've taken to playing the bass when our regular bass player has other gigs while one of my sons sits in for me on guitar. The gigs are piling up, so much so that I found I needed a B-string for some of the newer material. I tried using an octave pedal to get to those deep notes on the IV, but it sounds like crap.

Last week I scored a new 2013 American Deluxe Dimension V H Cayenne Burst on Reverb. It's kind of heavy at 4,9 kg (10.8 lbs) but it's very well balanced and feels great. It sounds tighter than the IV and has more oomph to it. Despite having four Fender guitars and a bass, this is the first time I've owned one of Fender's modern top shelf pro stuff and it's a nice change. It's as far from any of all that vintage vibe as you can get. It is indeed a deluxe instrument.

I like the simplicity of having only one pickup. Between where I pick the strings and the EQ settings there are plenty of tones to explore.

Now about that white pickguard that none of the members of this club seems to like? Well, I am keeping mine ON. I like the contrast and I already have tortoise or blacks guards on most of the guitars.

I've wanted a Dimension bass ever since they came out. Back in the late 80's I use to play with a great bass player who played a natural MusicMan Stingray. Since then I've always preferred that finish. On a bass. On guitars, not so much. Since I was a guitar player and Stingrays were and still are expensive I could never justify getting one. I borrowed one from a friend and really liked the way you can rest your thumb on the pickup. Once I saw the Dimension line of basses I thought it looked like an improved version of the Stingray. I don't care if it doesn't sound like a Ray, if I can't nail the bite of a Jazz or the growl of a P. I came late to the bass party, so my ears aren't yet tuned in enough to spot one over the other like I do with guitar sounds. At this stage in my bass playing endeavor I want the sound of my bass to sit right in the mix. These basses do.

HeavyDuty, Tjazz5, Salmiak and 4 others like this.