1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Dimension Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jo Ze98, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Jo Ze98

Jo Ze98

Mar 12, 2013
  2. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Jun 9, 2013
    The Fender Dimension Bass is brand new this year.

3. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Jul 21, 2012
    There was a pretty good article about them in Bass Player magazine, this month. They would seem to be some very nice pieces. of course, and as usual, the American version is more costly, and offers a few more options.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I played one in Sam Ash the other day. The modern player, not the american. I wasn't impressed. All but two of the 5 settings were noisy and weak sounding. And the extreme gloss on the back of the neck was sticky and very unpleasant to play.

5. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    I played the modern player and agree that a couple of the settings are thin becsuse it is just one of the thin blade pickups tapped alone. ..but I drove up to sweetwater to test out the american deluxe model...bought it onsite. I got the HH two humbucker configuration and boy I cant say enough about it. It reminds me of my stingray with its strong punch and electronics but is less "sterile" sounding...imagine a hybrid fender/stingray/g&l sound. ..punchy, articulate, but still warm. ABSOLUTELY a must have. The fretboard also goes from 9.5 and flattens out to 14.5 in the upper register and unlike the modern players thick poly like finish, the american deluxe has a nice smooth satiny finish and just feels baby smooth.

6. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    i gave up on that bass 2 month wait no thx bought a P bass...

7. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    What do u mean u gave up on it??? Did u not like it or u were tired of waiting for one and bought a P??

8. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Thx for the cool mini review. After reading the recent review in BP, I imagined them sounding pretty much like your description. I'll have to audition one when I get the chance...:bassist:

9. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    Yeah..if ur into spector u will like the dimension cuz they r aggressive but u can dial it back and even get a p tone if u run the rear pickup only..lotta options and the 18v electronics r kickass which is kinda a new thing I f u r u sed to fenders prior forays into active stuff...great value...I payed like $1580 for mine

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    If the pickup selector on the double humbucker model did what they did on the Roscoe Beck model, that would be a big plus.

11. Wow-- I gotta say-- it looks like Fender is FINALLY making a bass that I will actually want to buy right off the shelf!

Take a look at the pickup locations of the single-pickup and dual-pickup versions. Does the variation of the distance between the bridge and the rear pickup remind you of any other sister bass models in the industry? Hint: they both begin with the letter "L," followed by a four-digit number.

So, is this an industry-shattering, ground-breaking instrument? No.

Will it at least get more people to give Fender some more consideration? It certainly did with me!

12. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    The 5 way switch on my HH is as follows: #1. Front most single coil mode(about where the 70s position bridge pickup) #2. Rear pickup on the bridge pickup(exactly where the 60s spacing jazz is) paired with front most neck pickup(my personal favorite). #3. Both pickups in full humbucking mode(all four pickups and is very forward sounding and modern..thick almost. #4. The forward most bridge pickup(70s) paired with the rear neck pickup(the biggest split between pickups and the most aggressive yet still warm sounding imho). #5. Rear most neck pickup(think a woody, throaty P sound. There really is nothing u cant cop with this thing...especially when you factor in the 3 band eq u have available in every setting with the powerful 18v electronics that I believe are fenders best yet.

13. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Normal Jazz V neck dimensions? 1.875" nut not MM nut size of 1.75" ?

Specs vary on the Fender & Sweetwater website.

14. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    What he said. I played it at the Sam Ash in Westbury/Carle Place. Sounded pretty crappy.

15. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    How much does it weigh?

16. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    Mine comes in at about 9.5lbs but it is alder...they make some from ash which could be a little lighter...kinda depends on the cut of ash because I have both heavy and light ash basses. I personally like the sound of alder basses myself.

17. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    except that I hold mine tight thanks to MFD ceramic buckers and... Dimension look which is... oompf

Not my cup of tea.
    Happy for the ones who like those tho'

Cheers,
    Wallace

18. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Yolanda Charles is playing the Dimension bass now, and loves it.
    I got to try the single pickup American 5, and I really dug it. It's a great sounding bass, and plays really well.

19. senp5f

senp5f

Jan 27, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Nice to see Fender finally picked up on the wheel truss rod adjustment. I have always wondered why that's not standard on more basses.

I don't really think the "Modern Player" import has much future -- the G&L Tribute L-2000 is about $200 more, but you get two pickups and lots more options, and the SBMM Stringrays are very good (and you can get one with a two band pre). Unless the Modern Player Dimension really smokes, why would anyone buy it?

I'm interested to hear more about the American Deluxe versions though. Fender has been trying to snag some sales away from the various non-Fender makes of its own classics for a while now (remember the Select Active Jazz and Precision?) but I don't know how successful an effort it's been. Now they are going after other Leo Fender designs.

With a $1,600-$1,700 price point it seems like they are going after the Musicman instruments more so than the G&L instruments. You can get a TWO pickup L-2000 for $1,350, so why would I want to pay $250 more for something that says Fender on the headstock? Pricing is more competitive with the Stingray HH.

Personally, I have a HUGE bias toward Musicman because I do a lot of work in San Luis Obispo, my girlfriend went to school there, and it's one of my favorite spots in the whole wide world. I get some joy every time I look at the "Made in San Luis Obispo, California, USA" on the back of an EBMM instrument that is purely subjective and has nothing to do with anything but my own personal fancy. (However, I can objectively say that they are impeccably built.)