1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Dimension Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pierre Audy, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Hey!

I would like to know for those who own a Fender Dimension Bass ...

1. Is it your main bass
    2. yes/ no ... why?
    3. And where (place/music style) do you play it!

I'm asking this because i play mainly in a church where the style can be Pop/rock/blues/indy/folk and some kind of electro-pop. ( multi generational music ;) )

I mainly play drum but when i play bass i tend to prefer my Sire V7 (jazz Alder/rosewood).
    I consider it to fit more all the style we play than my Fender Dimension.

I would like to have your thought to the style played with your Dimension Bass

thankx

lifeoffroadbass likes this.
  2. Which Dimension bass are you referring to? The Squier Deluxe, the Fender Modern Player, the MIM Standard, the new MIM Deluxe HH, or the American Deluxe/Elite model?

I have the Squier Deluxe active model as a cheap backup bass and it's really good for the money. The pickups are low rent and VERY mids-focused (even harsh if you're not careful with the preamp.) The build quality is excellent and the Squier gets the same high mass bridge as the two most expensive MI/MIA models.

I use mine as a cheap jam bass - my professional instruments are too valuable to leave laying around questionably rough venues - so it's fit for purpose. I do keep looking at the new 2016 MIM Deluxe HH Dimension in ash/maple, but I don't need one, no matter how reasonable the prices are.

Comparing to your MM Sire V7 (I had one of the first ones in Europe - trans white ash and maple), the Sire is much better bass and vastly more adaptable. Your Sire is the same sort of quality as an American Deluxe/Elite if we're honest. Mine was, anyway.

Reading through your original post, I can see what you mean. The Dimension pickup is a little on the harsh side, mainly due to being wired in series. The Sire with it's more traditional parallel pickup wiring is much smoother sounding overall.

Hope my rambling helps :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Papazita likes this.

3. Right on! :)
    you size me perfectly

I got the American Deluxe HH V, (the one on my avatar). i put "Dunlop Flats" on it, to be more "versatile"

I love to play with it!
    but yes a little too "harsh" for my needs!

4. Yes, the Dimension is very good at cutting through the mix (particularly good if you're dealing with a wall of gui**** noise, or a heavy handed drummer) and sometimes seems to need to be tamed a little. Lots of punch, though :)

I'd assume your church playing is much like the jazz jobs I do at times - I mainly play for sixties pop stars or musical theatre these days - but it's often nice to play in a quieter environment where that series wiring is just too harsh and abrupt.

eadg98005 likes this.
  5. Absolutly,
    once i had my 2 bass and switch for two "more rock" songs. And i loved it.
    But i felt i was too much on the spot

I might ask how it was perceived by the "crowd"

6. I own the American Standard and like it. Yes they made a American standard model a bit that is passive, never played the active ones.

7. Comments have been favourable, as it's a very vocal bass. All of my instruments "cut" through in various ways. That's why I don't own a Precision :)

Pierre Audy likes this.
  8. I heard that turning off all the eq might give the "same" result than a passive one or close ?!

Did you try the active? is there à lot of difference?

9. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    They are almost indistinguishable when set flat, meaning the American Standard is both pups volume at 100%, tone about 50% and American Deluxe with all four coils turned on and EQ flat. After that, the deluxe has many more tonal options however I much preferred the tone and simplicity of the standard. Both models deserve more credit than are given but between the two, it really comes down to person preference.

Pierre Audy likes this.
  10. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Fender never does anything different, just P's and J's all day long.

Oooopps, wrong thread. ;)

petrus61 and Pierre Audy like this.
  11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Beat me to it!

12. Just bought an An. Elite P bass and now I own two jazz and two P.
    It's time to look at Dimension HH as they should be powerful and versatile line a G&L L2000 although I don't know whether the pickups wiring can be modified.
    Looking at YouTube tests the sound is in fact round and warm... Good for many applications !

OutToPlayJazz and Pierre Audy like this.
  13. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

I owned and sold my MIA 1xHB Dimension bass. Loved the ergonomics (neck geometry, weight) but once again I learned the hard way that I can't stand Fender's active electronics. I simply could not dial in a sound I liked. A problem I don't have with my other basses, one of which has active electronics (an Ibanez SRFF805).

Pierre Audy likes this.
  14. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    G&L L-2000's are super cool basses. On paper they are perfect. I could never bond with the ones I had. It always felt like I was fighting them. Then what sounded good in one place didn't in another. I don't have that issue with my American Standard Dimension but then I don't have the complexity either.

15. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I played a 2 HB american one today in a shop. I liked that it was a tad lighter due to the smaller body, and it played pretty well. Tonally, it was not bad, and pretty versatile. I was expecting something more in your face and stingray-like, but it wasn't all that aggressive. Personally, not my cup of tea, but an extremely credible instrument.

16. In effect the Dimension bass is not very aggressive or not as aggressive as the Stingray and that's why, personally, I prefer it to the Stingray.
    You know what a good in between is ?
    The BC Rich eagle bass of the 70s .... Lucky who owns one... Quotation now are very high ... Bernie Edwards started with that before the Stingray ....

MobileHolmes likes this.
  17. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I have 2 5 string Deluxe Dimensions. No one bass of mine is an absolute go to but these come with me to gigs for sure. They are kinda like a wide spacing stingray 5 without the quiet G string problem. Doesn't sound like a Ray. More like a cross between a Ray and a J. I like the tone. It's in the MM vernacular but it is its own thing.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    eff-clef and Farrin D like this.
  18. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    PS- does anyone here know if the pickup coils can be split? I was thinking of putting blend or switching in mine to get a little variety from the pickup.

19. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Good luck finding an old BC rich at a decent price :)

In terms of aggressiveness, or lack thereof, I'm not sure there is much between the Dimension and a stingray. I just had the stingray on my mind because the salesman pitched the dimension to me as "fender's take on the stingray" which I guess, in some ways it is. Something like the Stingray "Old Smoothie" model might fit the bill. Dr. Cheese had a nice demo a while ago, and it is a tad less agressive than a regular stringray, while still having a lot of punch. Also, I only spent maybe 10 minutes with the dimension, and it has a lot of options (5 way switch, EQ etc) so there are plenty of tones I didn't get around to trying out. Personally, it didn't jump out and grab me, and between my stringray and active J type, it didn't really fill a niche I needed, so I moved on to other stuff, but I think I do think that it was, on the whole a really nice instrument.

20. Farrin D

Farrin D Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I too have a Sire V7 and a Dimension and I typically rotate them both often! I absolutely love the neck of the Am DLX Dimension IV HH and can get some mellow tones if needed by rolling off the highs and mids and using the Neck PU soloed or any of the middle three positions. But of course it's spectacular at cutting through the mix. I've used mine in multiple genres to great effect!

Edit: I should add I have the IV string versions.