1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Dimension Basses Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve Boisen, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    They're no longer on Fender's website or for sale at Sweetwater. Discontinued or awaiting a reboot at NAMM?

- Steve

2. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I think so. The retailers are blowing them out. Replay has a couple with crazy low price tags on them.

Steve Boisen likes this.
  3. NigelDimesnion

NigelDimesnion

Jan 2, 2018
    I hate my dimension it has too much growl

krimo and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I get a message saying that page does not exist.

- Steve

5. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Gone!!!!Gone!!!!Gone!!!!

6. Well I can still browse to Dimension bases and I still see 8. I'm in Canada.

7. That's too bad-- I thought it was easily the most well-thought-out non-vintage-style bass that Fender has made in decades.

I still think their single biggest misstep was releasing the single-pickup version first. This gave rise to the unfortunate misconception that the Dimension was a Fender Stingray (I realize that phrase has an ironic redundancy to it). Releasing the two-pickup variant first MIGHT (we'll never know for sure) have given it the gravitas of an "evolved" Jazz bass, a la Roscoe Beck model.

Maybe the average Fender customer just wasn't ready for it. At one time, the average Fender customer wasn't ready for the Jazzmaster, until the alternative rock guitarists started using it 20 years later. I'm hoping it doesn't take that long for the Dimension bass.

Heck, I'm hoping that humbucking pickup might make an appearance as a rear pickup on a P-bass DeLuxe. Not likely, but a guy can hope!

Steve Boisen likes this.
  8. The Dimension 5er had a narrow neck profile not available on any other Fender 5er (all other 5ers in the line have 1 7/8" nut width). Having played basses with a 1 3/4" nut width I am partial to that specification after playing them for 32 years (got my first 5er in 86' a Gibson V). I really wanted a Dimension but couldn't scrape up the funds, bummed.

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The public just wasn't ready for such a bass, I guess.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I love my Dimension. It plays like a Fender, sounds like a Fender and in any music, sits right in there where it’s supportive, claims its range and sounds just right.

Steve Boisen and HeavyDuty like this.