Fender Dimension Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wattsman, Apr 19, 2017.

1. wattsman

wattsman Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Texas
    Hey guys,
    Always been interested in getting one of these, they seem to sound really cool. However, don't seem to see many musicians using them, so my perception is that they are not very popular. Are these on the way out? You think fender will discontinue?

2. At Sea

At Sea ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    They're not being discontinued yet, though their product offerings are not so prevalent. I like my AmStd Dimension V; gonna try some Dunlop Superbrights when it's time to change strings.

3. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    The Dimension is Fender's take on the Stingray, yes? Perhaps people who want the Stingray sound also want the Stingray look, which can be had at a number of price points between the EBMM Stingrays, the SBMM Ray34/Ray35 and the SUB Ray4/Ray5.

4. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I just picked up a 4 string American deluxe one to go with my 90s Stingray. I have tried to love P-basses and Jazz basses and I just can't. The Dimension is a very nice bass. I love the sound and feel of it. Very light too and easy on the back for a 4 hour gig. I bought it because I got a great price on it and i wanted something to work with my Stingray. The sounds are similar, yet different. The Dimension is versatile and punchy. Very clear, modern sound too it. Had to back off the treble a bit but that may be the strings. Putting a set of sunbeams on there soon and will see if that makes a difference. I am very happy with it. It doesnt have the feel of a stingray though. Necks are different, and my Ray has 20 years of playing on it and just feels broken in like a 2015 bass won't yet, so it's not a fair comparison. Dimension neck feels a bit tapered towards the nut where the Ray feels more consistent...

5. Rib 13

Rib 13

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    Personally, I think they favor G&L more than Musicman

6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Its still a "new model" for Fender. It takes time to build a big following. Once they get one superstar endorser, you will see more "D's" around. Not that Jolanda Charles isn't a fine bass player, she just has no name recognition.

Great neck on this bass, compound radius, great shape. Very nice sounding bass but I take issue with anyone saying Fender's take on Musicman.... it simply does not sound like that. Its a wonderful instrument that can be bought at really great prices.

Will Fender discontinue them? Probably. They killed the P5 deluxes and Roscoe Beck Models... some of the best basses Fender ever produced, I am sure the Dimension will be gone. That just means it will increase in value over time.

7. wattsman

wattsman Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Texas
    Great, thanks for the replies guys. I will look for a good deal.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022