Fender dimension H vs HH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by villarddefender, Dec 16, 2017.

1. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    So why would you pick one over the other. I've just learned in another thread that you're free to play wherever you want with your right hand (near the neck, super close to the bridge, you name it) to get the desired tone you want. Having that in mind, wouldn't the simple H version be enough?
    View attachment 2845465

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Even tone deaf me can hear a difference in timbre between a bridge pickup & a neck pickup.
    You can't achieve that large of a difference just from where you pluck/pick.

3. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    Interesting so there's a particular timbre you'll get with the HH version

Wouldn't the HH version be better then since you could just turn off the neck PUP and have only the bridge PUP on like for the H version

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    The single pickup is in-between where the two pickups are on the other version. That plus the active EQ allows you to cover a lot of ground tonally. Maybe not as much as two pickups, but it all depends on what you need. Many people are perfectly happy with a P bass and its single pickup and single tone knob. Others like a G&L L-2000 which has even more options than a two-pickup Dimension.

djaxup and villarddefender like this.
  5. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    The HH version wasn't available at my local music store so I was wondering what I was missing and had the feeling the single H version kinda met my needs

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The single H works fine for me. I personally don’t care for multiple pickup basses.

7. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I like two pickups when they're single coil like on a Jazz bass, but with humbuckers I find a neck pickup on its own is often muddy and a bridge pickup on its own is often nasally.

bassomane, Ellery, El-Bob and 2 others like this.
  8. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    Since the single version has its H PUP between the position of the neck and bridge PUPs of the HH version, would that make it not exactly nasally and not exactly muddy but the perfect midpoint?

Rodslinger, El-Bob, joebar and 3 others like this.
  9. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Dimension bass with an extra Mudbucker pickup chopped in at the neck.

YpEOV8k.jpg

Obviously.

10. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    Yeah, I have two Squier Dimensions with the single pickup and I think its in a good spot.

villarddefender likes this.
  11. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    Nice!
    Since the PUP is in a good spot I'm wondering how the HH version with both PUPs at max level will differ in timbre with the same EQ settings: the difference shouldn't be like night and day imo...

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Is that thing legit? I love it!

13. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    two pickups are always better than one. has nothing to do with hand position.

14. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    It's what floats your boat. I have a dozen basses with different specs, number of pickup, build styles and scale lengths and they all make me happy. If your H gets what you want, rock it. P bass with its one pickup made some of the best music ever.

dabbler, villarddefender and Lo-E like this.
  15. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Just to add one thing, when your learning the instrument, the simpler the bass you play, the quicker you pick technique because you're not fooling around with switches and pickup settings and stuff that I love to fool around with after playing for a long time.

Maybe I should focus less on settings and more in technique!

16. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I abslolutely agree! Keep things as simple as possible when you're just starting out. You'll have enough to think about trying to figure out drummers. You don't need to also worry about which pickup sounds better for the ballad. You'll have plenty of time for (having fun) worrying about that stuff later.

You and me both!

17. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    Thanks guys: I now feel like I've made the right choice going with the simple H version because of its simplicity and the fact that I can focus on other things! :D:bassist:
    View attachment 2845743

18. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    The two basses are voiced entirely different.
    The H is more mid forward and stingray ish
    The HH has more options and some good sounds and isn't as aggressive sounding.
    The H had a better B IME.

Old Blastard and villarddefender like this.
  19. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    IMG_3777.JPG Just to reassure you, the simplest bass I own rocks out gigs, too. Don't need fancy, but it is fun. Sometimes simple just works better.

20. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    More stingrayish I like that and more mid forward means it cuts very well through the mix

El-Bob likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022