Fender Dimension is Discontinued

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CharlieChuckles, Mar 19, 2018.

1. CharlieChuckles

CharlieChuckles

Mar 4, 2017
    Just got off the Phone with Fender in CA. Confirmed. Was interested since I own one and saw Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals on Austin City Limits last night where the Bassplayer had a Dimension. Here is a photo of my basses with the Dimension on right.

Pbassmanca, Ct1811 and BrentSimons like this.
  2. CharlieChuckles

CharlieChuckles

Mar 4, 2017
    jazz and Dimension may 19 2018.JPG

scottm, Marc61, Rebel Rocker and 10 others like this.
  3. Saw that coming

nateh415, Jimks, ajkula66 and 13 others like this.
  4. I never played one, but did want to check one out.

Fender is almost behaving like Gibson, in that they're discontinuing a good instrument before it really caught on.

At least Fender gave this one a few years. Does anyone know when the Dimension came out?

I guess you can't argue with slow sales.

I find it strange that the vast majority of the buying public prefer the two standards, Precision and Jazz, when a new instrument had so much to offer.

Mike

Jimks and Spectre Gunner like this.
  5. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I thought they stopped making them a few years ago. Oops.

6. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    not surprised.
    I have a 5 string Fender Jazz 24. I think it's a great bass but it was also short lived.
    I think most people only associate Fender with Jazz basses and P basses. I'm actually surprised that Pj's haven't gone away.

7. Laza

Laza

Sep 15, 2008
    (1) discontinue D-bass now
    (2) wait until demand surpasses supply on the used market
    (3) relaunch production

Glenn Johnson, Beej, Marc61 and 24 others like this.
  8. Another question: Were the Dimensions designed to compete with Laklands?

Their body style and price kind of suggest it.

I remember watching a video on them, and the 5 way switching was nice, giving a lot of tonal options.

Mike

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yeah, the day they first came out.
    Well, they still make the Rascal and the Starcaster for those who just can't get on board with the Precision, Jazz or Jaguar, right?

pantografo64 and Fletz like this.
  10. CharlieChuckles

CharlieChuckles

Mar 4, 2017
    It was a purchase that at first seemed too extravagant. Still is. However, the sustain matches the graphite neck of another bass I own. Learned to really like it. Think I'll use it for a small gig in a week. Usually I use my 4 string because 5 gets me confused when reading notes that are part of a lot of my playing jobs. That's WHY it's extravagant! Sorry if this subject has been discussed already, being discontinued and such. Seemed appropriate now.

11. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Initially I was enthusiastic about the Dimension design, glad to see a departure from the mass of P's and J's. I tried one a few years back and found it the most disappointing Fender I'd played. Nothing about its feel really clicked with me: it seemed "lifeless" for lack of a better term. I'd say lack of sales put me in the same boat as many others.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That’s too bad. My pair are exceptional basses.

Some people just don’t like change unless it looks like a coffee table.

13. To me they launched an ebmm clone and it sounded nothing like a ebmm. I played a couple out of curiosity and I never really found them so spectacularly different that they would make as much as a ripple.

bwoodman, mindwell, SpyderX and 3 others like this.
  14. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    I think it's a good idea that could us a bit of a redesign. I think they missed the mark with the styling.

tradernick and Brent Arrowitz like this.
  15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If people aren't buying them, they won't keep selling them.

16. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    The price might go up on the used market in the future? For those who own them, it just might be a good investment.

17. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    see that's the thing if it sounded real warm like my grabber or my L2k i would have been a little more interested, it played very nice, but it didn't do what i needed it to do when i tried one out

18. Alacajun

Alacajun Guest

Mar 19, 2000
    The Rascal is no longer in production either....

19. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    Excellent basses, very underrated. The asym neck is awesome.

20. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    For a while they often showed up as the “Stupid Deal of the Day” and kept coming down in price. USA and MIM. I wondered if they would go away. I played a USA two pickup and though they it was a decent instrument but not my thing.

packhowitzer likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022