Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Dimension V?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Or: Damn you, Fender.

So, I'm on the Fender site (don't ask. Seriously, I don't know, either.) and I check out the Dimension basses. Right, right, untill I stumble on something.

The Dimension V has a 2.008" nut.

Which to me, is a complete hard-on. I mean, some of you may have heard me griping about no major manufacturer making a 2" + nut 5er. And now, apparently, Fender did it right under my nose. Which kinda sucks, because I've got zero funds (unless I wanna cut loose my Death Oath 4 banger), and nobody in my area carries them.

New, they're about $770 new, and I'm not seeing any on Ebay, Bassgear, HCBF, nothing. Nobody is selling them used, so I can't even seem to get a ballpark on these things.

The "Damn you," bit comes in that these basses present a very unique oppertunity for me to finally get to try a 5er with a 2" nut (well, and be aware of it). People have mentioned the Dimension IV, but there's precious little talk about the Vs. Sure, it's a Fender 5 string, yadda yadda, but, damn.

Has anyone played these things? Feedback? For the love of Pete, feedback?

2. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I also just found it on the Fender site and went crazy when I saw the 2 inch nut. I just started playing again and have a Carvin LB75 (5 string) which has the same size nut as my old Fender Precision 4 string making the spacing way too close.. I have to go out and find one to play.
    I did find them starting at $595.00 on Bananas.com. I hope to find one to play this week and let you know what it think... there are a few short reviews on talkbass from people who have tried it.

I have been looking at MTD Saratoga's and Pendulla's. Keep getting sticker shock. Looking forward to trying a Dimension

Gus

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Most nuts are about Either 1.75" or 1.85" ...by and large too narrow for my mitts. My 4 strings have to have 1.75" nut width. Fender makes a 1.87" nut on most of it's 5ers, which is nice, but that 2" nut is a big deal to me. The next cheapest is a Warmoth Gecko neck, which being compatible with only a Gecko body, means you're looking at like, $1200, at least. After that, there's custom stuff, but I don't want to pay that much for a freakin' wide nut, y'know?

As it is, I play Spectors because they have a beefy neck, which helps offset the (relatively) narrow nut of 1.85". Fender's 5s also have surprisingly beefy necks, and this is wide, if nothing else.

So I'm really hounding for one of these. If it's a good bass, would I forsake my Spector? Maybe, but I'm going to need to play one before anything decisions can be made.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I played one. I liked it - a lot! It is different than most Fenders but does have a nice sound. Plenty of punch and I felt it had a decent amount of growl as well. More aggressive than a Precision. The pre-amp is nice as is the pickup configuration. They sell for approximately $899 CDN. That is probably $650 US and you are likely to get a better deal down there.

Dan

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How was the B string? That's one of the big things for me. Tight? Tight with the right strings, rubber band no matter how you cut it, what?

6. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    To me it was pretty decent. I suspect with the right strings it would be really good. I'm pretty much a 4-banger looking for a 5 so take my opinion for what it is on the B-string. It was tigher tension-wise than the B on a Jazz. The spacing was wider than what I am used to.

Dan

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Crap.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I love you dude, but I've never seen anyone make such a stink of over string spacing. ;) Every thread it's "I hate J-Basses" this or "I'd buy that if I didn't need an aircraft carrier for a freboard" that.

DeArmond Pilot basses. Done. Huge width. Dual humbuckers. Look better than the Fender Dimensions. Fragment sentence.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The funny thing is, it's the other string spacing. Most people are like "Shucks, it's 17mm at the bridge," meanwhile, I'm stuck over here going "No, no, can we make it 17mm at the nut!?" I'm making a stink over the entirely wrong end of the bass. Check a Spector thread "Awsome bass, too narrow down at the bridge."

Talk about rotten luck. And yeah, we've never met, but I seriously have ogre hands that are finicky as to what they enjoy. It's not terribly easy on me, either, man. My bass market is thinner than most everyone else's.

10. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Re-read my post I edited so that it more precise in meaning. It may help.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hey, at least you're not a lefty.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, no, there was no confusion coming from you. No need to clarify anything.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I stand corrected.

14. If I could have any Fender on the face of the earth, it would be the Dimension V. No I haven't played a Dimension, but I've played enough Fenders to know.

15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The Rickenbacker 4004/5 Cii is 2" at the nut. And 17mm at the bridge. Any takers?

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Holy hell. Yes.

Wait...look at the price tag.

Holy hell. No.