1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Dimension

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wattsman, May 18, 2016.

1. wattsman

wattsman Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Texas
    Hi,
    I'm getting a good deal on an American Standard Dimension. I cannot find any recent reviews, or posts. Al the info i found is from back in 2013-14 from when they were released.
    Do anyone here uses one, are they good?

thanks,

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  2. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
  3. They're going on sale everywhere; it appears they've been discontinued and weren't very good sellers. They play like a Fender and I like the way they sound, but the upper and lower horns are too short relative to the body. I can't be the only one who thinks they look stumpy.

If you have any interest, go ahead and get one; at the clearance price they're a good deal. They're very Fender to me, they're just not another P or J.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  5. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Not discontinued, just lineup and name changes. Typical Fender move.

They are a different flavor of Fender tone. I think they sound great and I would jump on that deal if I had the money. I have been contemplating getting one and adding a single/series/parallel switch for each pickup. The single coil settings on my Deluxe HH are outstanding and I would want some of that flavor.

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I was thinking about buying the Ocean Blue American Standard IV body on ebay.
    Looks great!

7. I tried one, but just could not make myself like it.

I felt great, looked nice, and sounded "OK" to my ears, but it just didn't click for me, but then I have been stuck on Fender Precision and Jazz basses for decades, so I guess I'm speaking from a very deep rut.

You just have to pick one up, plug it in and decide for yourself it is what YOU like. Bargain price or not, if it does not look, sound and feel good to you, it isn't a deal.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Victor Litz still has a couple of IVs at blowout pricing.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have been playing a Dimension Deluxe for a year and for Young Country, it is an awesome bass. The Dimension delivers that Fender thump with an active tone that really works.

10. I recently got an American Deluxe 4HH in a trade deal, but haven't logged much playing time on it yet. It seems to put quite an array of tones at one's disposal, and it is a beautiful instrument with good playability and fine workmanship.
    It's kinda-sorta like Fender's answer to a Stingray. I'll have to do some A/B'ing before I can really analyze the similarities and differences. Maybe somebody else here can help with that.
    If you can afford it and get it for a good price, you may want to give it a shot.