1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Dirnt P, old v new, what gives?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Apr 10, 2015.

1. I've got a Mike Dirnt signature P-bass c. 2009. I'm fairly sure they were made in Mexico. FWIW I have no interest in Green Day at all, it is just the nicest bass I've played.

I see that version is discontinued and now there's only a road-worn USA version at nigh on x3 the price. As far as I can tell the specs are identical and only the worn-ness and country of manufacture are different.

Is that true?

2. (You certainly can't argue that the more expensive one has a higher quality finish)

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I believe the Roeadworn version is MIM.

AndrewTaran likes this.
  4. davr35

davr35

Jun 14, 2013
    Cut Off, La
    I could be wrong but I thought the roan worn versions are MIM

5. Gosh. Well I looked at the Fender site and couldn't see where I got the idea that the worn ones are US... so I'm sure you're right re MIM. Which makes the difference in prices even more bizarre!

6. You'll see lots of arguments over the fact that road worn means more work involved at the factory, plus the electronics are (based on his interviews) exact based on Mike's preferences. Arguably this new version is THE bass Mike Dirnt wanted in the first place, hence, the added price.

However, from personal experience, I always find the first run of a new model by Fender regardless of MIA, MIJ, or even MIM, are spectacular compared to later versions of the same model. I don't know if it's because it's new and they have to focus more, but the craftsmanship on first runs are almost always uniformly better.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    AndrewTaran likes this.
  7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Don't you mean $300 more? Three times would be around $2400.00. Unless you are talking about the Squier model.

8. Ok then, x2 the price. Mine @ £490 ($725), not-actually-worn-on-the-road £1100 ($1630)

9. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    The old ones were $799 and the new ones are $1099. That's $300

10. Not in the UK.

11. sequel91

sequel91

Jan 7, 2013
    Rochester, NY
    The other non-cosmetic difference is that the old version has a Bad Ass II bridge (see my avatar), while the road worn uses Fender's new version of the BA. Is that, combined with the relicing, worth $300 (in the states) or £610 (in the UK)? The market will decide that...

12. You've inspired me to update my avatar with my BA. The host instrument has since been upgraded with a 3-ply pearloid scratchplate.

13. Yeah UK prices have no basis in the real world price of things, I've seen stuff cheap and stuff at outrageous prices compared to North American. The US dollar is also alot stronger right now then it was in 2009 so you have to factor that in, Fender has raised prices across the board as well.

14. Simple ...the bass is selling too well. So they up the price, increase the bottom line sell nearly as many at twice the price. No brainer. The bean counters rule the roost and they see no downside. The few that don't like the price will go buy a Squier instead and everyone else who likes this bass will pony up the extra cha- ching. Yea Fender, you go guys.

15. Fender uses kiln dried wood for RW series - bodies are way lighter and resonate better. Quality control is superior. Finished by hand. If it won't have Made in Mexico on the back of the headstock, you probably won't know if it's Japanese or American(see what I did there!). Regular Dirnt and RW Dirnt are two absolutely different basses.

16. It comes with a black tolex hard case. That's $100 or so.

17. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Fender has also raised their pricing across the board since then. I remember when the big companies jumped the prices of their standard line to over $1000. I swore I would never spend that much for a Ray or a P bass. Man I was dumb.