Fender dlx j 5 vs. stingray 5 vs G&L 2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Very similar basses, similar prices used on ebay, similar availability. The j bass I'm interested in has the 18 volt preamp/noiseless p/u's, 4 + 1 headstock by the way.

Preferences, comments positive or negative on weight, playability, versatility, tone, fit and finish?

2. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I've played a couple of the newer Fender jazz Dlx Vs, and while the preamp is better I'm not too impressed with them. The B is pretty average sounding, and tightness, weight, and playability vary alot from bass to bass.

Definitely not in the same class as your F bass, Lakland, Sadowsky or Modulus.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Depends on what sounds you want to get out of the bass. These are my opinions, mind you, but are based on lotsa experience....

Rule out the Fender altogether. They just don't have the B-string thing down yet on the Jazz basses. Both the SR5 and the L2500 are a cut above Fender in the fit/finish dept. I think the SR5 has the better B-string response, but the L2500 looks better all-around, has the better ergonomics (smaller body) and looks (no big ugly pickguard). The L2500 definitely wins the race in terms of versatility...it'll get a huge variation of tones.

For my money, the L2500 wins if you can find one that has a good B-string. In my experience, some do and some don't.
  4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I also A/B/C'ed recently between these basses, and finally chose the Stingray.
  5. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I now only own a Lakland 5594 and an F bass. Am I going to be "disappointed" with anything less "expensive" feeling, looking, our sounding? is a possible snafu to this.

The thing that the F and the Lakland have in common is their versatility and adjustability of tone on board the bass, with the F bass being much more than the Lakland. I'm not real impressed by the Stingray's versatility BUT, the G&L doesn't have a midrange adjustment on board the bass which is, next to the single coil switch on the f bass, the one thing I use the most to tune into a given room's acoustics. I had a fender deluxe Jazz 4 string and 5 string before and the general tone versatility was pretty cool, but I wasn't using the speaker cabs or head I have now, so I don't know how much better/different things will be.

On the other hand, the Stingray is for me the nicest looking of the three color wise (I do like the white perloid pickguard? Oh well sorry bout that) and the one that stands out that's available right now has the white metalic finish which I've always "wanted" but I'm finally accepting now to not buy anything because I like it's "look". That's what happened when I bought an expensive Sadowsky and didn't end up "loving" it's tone in spite of what everyone who owns one telling me I would!!

The other basses are more "classy" looking quilted or "striped" maple tops or transparent ash/alder etc., but this one stingray 5 is really a looker to my old eyes without it being a 10A quilted top or burled buckeye. Classy...maybe not exactly, an attention getter...I think definitely.

The B strings on the 2 other SR5's I've owned have been exceptionally tight vs what I've experienced with the J5 and what people seem to be saying about the G&L. BUT, the lack of a second pickup does hamper the versality of the SR, yes?

Thanks for the feedback so far. I have until around 11:30 tonight to make up my mind on the stingray. Of course, I'm assuming no one else wants it and won't bid it up to where I mind as well be buying a new one with a piezo.
  6. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    If I were on a budget and needed a 5, I'd certainly go with the Ray. Best and tightest B on a 34" I've played. They are a one trick pony and the preamp is pretty average, imho.

If you weren't happy with the Sadowsky than I'm not sure an SR will satisfy you.
  7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I went for the SR5, but I really like the MM sound. I think the MM is a little more versatile than most people give it credit for. With the selector switch and moving your plucking hand around I can get lots of tones out of it. That and nothing cuts through like a Stingray
  8. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    The sadowsky, at least the one I bought which you played, did not cut through like the F bass at all remember. The SR5's I've played always cut through but I had a love hate relationship with them, mainly becuase, as the last poster indicated, I have a tendency to not move my right hand around to try and change the "basic" sound. For a given song or two I can do it, but if I have to move my right hand a couple of inches closer to the bridge or neck all night to make 95% of the songs sonically acceptable in a crappy sounding room, rather than adjusting the on board eq to make that work, I know I'll get carpal tunnel, numbness, or bursitis going within an hour!!

It's already happened when I tried playing a Roscoe with the smaller body and the slanted pickups. One hour into the gig my fingers were numb!!

Anyway, the SR5's I've owned all have cut through more than the Sadowsky Modern 5 that I owned briefly that you played.

Hopefully I will be satisfied with a less expensive piece because bottom line, that's what's gonna happen if anything this time around!!

9. KAC

Oct 9, 2002
    I've had my G&L for about a year, and so far there's nothing I haven't been able to do with it. It looks great, and it's well balanced. The B string is great, as long as its strung through the body.
  10. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    did you A/B either of the other two basses before you bought the G&L?

They certainly are better priced than the stingrays and are nice looking. I haven't owned a 5 string G&L but have owned 2 L2000's and one ASAT over the years. Again, I wasn't using heads and cabs anywhere as good as what I own now and they sounded really nice back then.

Let me know if you had a chance to play the others and why you went to the 2500 as your choice if you don't mind?