Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender double p?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Apr 16, 2001.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I heard about a fender double p from a friend. I THINK I've seen one before in a picture or something. But I could be wrong and just imagining things... Has anyone ever seen a Fender Double P?

If so? Do they know where you can buy 'em at?

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Actually, scratch that. I found one, it's the Fender p-bass elite 2. (I'm not sure if the p-bass elite regular has both the split coils...)

Anyone know where I can get one for a decent price now?

(no this isn't asking for someone who's selling one, it's asking for links)

And any comments on what they sound like? I'm guess like p-bass lows x2... am I correct?

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Thanks... I already checked there. They "had" one.

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Bass Palace has a couple, one of which is NOS. The Elite II is a great bass; very precisely made and a great sound.

Visit http://www.gbase.com and do a search on Fender Elite bass guitar - the Sunburst/Rosewood, Very Good+, HSC, $689 sounds good, especially "light" - mine is pretty heavy.

[​IMG]

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have one, and no, I'm not selling it. I do think it is an excellent version of the P bass, if you like active electronics. I say go for it, they sound very warm for active electronics. I give it the thumbs up.

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Hmmm... The active electronics I've had experience with I didn't like (Fender Jazz Deluxe, Ibanez SR800LE).

I'd probably change it to 2 seymour duncan passives...

I really just want a double p that's passive. But I think the easiest way to accomplishing that would be to get a precision elite II and just replace the pups, am I right?

8. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    The Elite will carry a premium- if you checked any links you found that out.

If your intention is to have a passive bass w/two pbass pickups, you might be better off getting a finished or unfinished Warmoth body and mate it with a Fender or one of their necks. You might even want to emulate Leland Sklar's reverse pbass pickup positions (EA string pickup closest to bridge). I always wanted to try that and would love to get my hands on one of the Gibson Sklar models if it weren't so damn expensive.

OTOH, I don't think you would have to replace the pickups; you could just bypass the preamp and see how they sound passive.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    True... I don't think there's any passive bass with two p-bass pups...

Which sucks...

I think that the treble side closer to the bridge would be better, you'd want more of a warm high end, and a clear low end, it'd match better. Since your highs are usually really clear sounding, and your lows usually come accross too low.

It'd kinda sound unbalanced, I'm guessing.

But how would I go about doing the warmoth thing?
    Just pretty much making a bass myself?

Wouldn't getting all the electronics together be kind of difficult? I mean, I've been playing bass for 4 years, but I've never really changed pups or anything.

One last thing, aside from that being difficult, wouldn't it also be fairly expensive?

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You could get the elite P 2, then put a passive active/switch and have the option, that's possible, though it means taking it to a tech and paying fifty bucks. If you really doubt you'll ever use the active put the switch in as a pull up tone knob, that way it's hidden. I think you'll get the sound you want with that type of setup, without spending more on pup's if you don't want to.

11. It would probably be cheaper than finding an Elite II.

Say $250 for body and neck (that's an estimate, and a very rough one) - then $180 for some decent pickups - but eBay has older ones for cheap, then you've got not much for the pots and knobs and pickguard and bridge - $500? $600?

I'd love to have an Elite II - They seem like semi-trucks to me.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I just want something to get a good thumpy low end, but clean. And I'm guessing since people said a Fender P would get that, a Double p would do that job just twice as well.

But the thing is, I'd want to get a "good" bass. Not get like some generic parts thrown together.

The warmoth bodies look nice, but the problem is my estimate came out to over $700

(seymour duncan pups would be a must)

I'm debating if it'd be in my best interest to get a mim fender p and just take it to a tech to have the extra pup holes be cut and the pup be placed in... Anyone have any idea how much that would be?

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The modified MIM Fender P would probably involve the least money and hassle.

Back in the 1980's, Jackson, Charvel, and BC Rich made a couple of dual P models. I think that Aria did too.

14. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    The BC Rich I used to have had two sets of DiMarzio split coils and sounded pretty nice.I have a standard precision and would love to add a jazz pickup down by the bridge position like their "hot rodded" bass has.I think that this setup is the way to go since the j pup will add a wider variation in tones available to you.

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I think I'll go with the MIM modified p

Anyone think the clarity would be as good as a MIA p?

I don't know ALL the differences in a mim and a mia I know the pups are partial, but if I change the pups to seymour duncans will it be equal or better?

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Adding the second pup doesnt mean it'll be twice as good. At all. Itll just sound different. You may not even like it. But it wont be Px2.

17. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I think trying to meet your "thump expectations" on others' assessments is a mistake. Pbasses are not the only thing that can thump, and putting a pbass pickup at the bridge doesn't necessarily give you more thump -- the p-bass sound is not just in the pickup, but the traditional position. When I play my Elite II's bridge pickup alone - it does not "thump" despite its noble heritage.

I would suggest that you try to find an Elite II to try... and along the way, try every other two pickup bass you can get your hands on - concentrating on those with a pair of humbuckers. My three basses that each have a pair of Lane Poor humbuckers can thump -- it depends on the pickup blend and preamp settings, as well as style of play. PLENTY of thump with just the neck pickup on along. My single pickup el cheapo Dean Rhapsody HB has some pretty good thump to it. You don't necessarily need a pair of pickups.

Go forth and audition some instruments before you build a dream bass that may turn into a nightmare when it doesn't do what you expect.

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I've been thinking about that... I like how clear the sample of the american fender p is on the fender site. But I won't have money for that 'til maybe mid-summer... G.A.S. pains are acting up really bad too.. And the mim doesn't seem to sound nearly as clear or as low as the mia p...

I'm desperate for a new toy with tons of thump... It has to have a clean sound too.

19. Look for an American Standard, these can be had real cheap, I mean, you can get a 1999 model for less then you will find the elite's anywhere. Just look around, theyre out there

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    On the subject of double P pickups, the early incarnation of Peavey's TL-6 had double P's too.

Will C.:cool: