Fender Downtown Express vs Diamond Bass Comp Jr. Which one?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thom Fioriglio, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Hi all,

I am interested in doing some home recording and making bass videos. I am looking for a preamp or compressor to help shape and tame the tone of my Fender Precision 50s bass. For about the same price I am looking at the Fender Downtown Express multi effect pedal and the Diamond Bass Comp Jr, which came highly recommended from a friend.

For the Fender DTE, I get a compressor, EQ and Overdrive. From Diamond BC Jr I get compressor and EQ in a smaller unit.

Here are links to the webpage descriptions

Downtown Express Bass Multi-Effect Pedal | Effects Pedals

Diamond Pedals | BASS COMP Jr

And youtube video reviews

Thanks. Any info you could share would be helpful. If you have these and any experience, or advice, I appreciate what info you have to share.

Thom

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'd be leaning more towards the Fender DTE provided the compressor is more-than-passable. You can also flip-flop the comp / OD order which also has some benefit depending on your situation.

Edit: How difficult would it have been to add a tuner?!? C'mon, man!

Riis

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  3. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I’ve been curious about the Fender pedal but haven’t seen any reviews. I think in your situation I’d order both and try them side by side, then return the one you don’t want.

I have the Diamond and it is fantastic sounding but doesn’t work well for everyone / every situation. Since your goal is recording you’ll have eq available in your DAW

4. LOL, agree about the tuner. Also, not sure if the compressor comes with a light to let you know when it reached its threshold.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  5. That's exactly what I did. I ordered the DTE first then kept thinking about the Diamond BCJr. So then ordered that as well. As for recording, its to record bass videos on my iPhone, so not direct to my computer. I will be using a Roland Go Mixer Pro. I can plug direct into the Roland Mixer but the signal would be dry. So was looking for something to shape the tone. After doing some research, I found out another option would be to run a Direct Out Line from my Fender Rumble 200 amp into the Roland Mixer.

The mixer comes tomorrow so I will see how it sounds dry and then through the amp. The DTE and Diamond come on Monday and Tuesday.

As for the Diamond, my friend loves his. He even returned his Ampeq and Aquilar preamps because he preferred the Diamond. Its size and simplicity is my appeal as well.

Will update when I get them.

cavemanbass likes this.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yep. There's a gain reduction LED nestled among the comp controls.

Interested on hearing which is the keeper.

Riis

Thom Fioriglio likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022