Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Dual showman Reverb tfl 50000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nbw, Mar 21, 2004.

1. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    I just recently somehow got ahold of the above bass amp(head/cab) for free(needs tubes/speakers/love). I am just wondering if any of you guys have one or if any of you have heard anything about them such as quality and what not and know what I should expect to get once I get her screaming again.

thanks

2. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Hmm,

Well, I think they came loaded with JBL D-140f speakers.

I know my friends showman head is good for about 85-watts. Though, he runs his for guitar. He takes all but one power tube out, and gets some very nice tone with pure tube overdrive.

But for bass, these things do sound nice for sure. They aren't the loudest things in the world, but plenty for most anyone.

3. Razorc195

Razorc195

Mar 23, 2010
    Hi;

Not sure if I understood you or not. If your looking to fix up and sell the amp, maybe I can save you the trouble. I have one of these and am looking for a second. If you want to call and discuss it that would be cool.

Respectfully

Mike
    469-964-8655

4. JTE

JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Tell us more about the details, because I'm not sure what the "TFL5000" means other than it being Fender's model number for the Dual Showman Reverb. A Dual Showman Reverb is the the chassis from a Twin Reverb mounted in a head cabinet without any speakers. It's a guitar head with no changes made to make it a bass head.

Is the control panel silver or black?
    Does it have a master volume control on the right-hand side, next to the pilot light?
    If it does have a master volume, does it have a pull-out switch built in to it (I think it said "Pull For Boost" under the knob)?
    Look on the back and see what it says next to the speaker jacks, that'll help tell you more about it.

The original Dual Showmans (and Twins) were 85 WRMS at 4 ohms (the single Showman was 85 WRMS @ 8 ohms, with a different transformer tap). Then they upped them to 100 WRMS. Then they added the master volume. Then they added the boost circuit. Then they changed the output transformer (called the "Ultralinear" ones) and rated them at 135 WRMS.

The same chassis was used on the Dual Showman Reverb, Twin Reverb (2x12 combo), Quad Reverb (4x12 combo), Vibrosonic Reverb (1x15 combo- popular with jazz and steel players), and the Super Six Reverb (6x10 combo). The same power section with different pre-amps was used for the Super Bassman (later the Bassman 100 then the Bassman 135), and the PA 100 (later PA 135).

Opinions vary about how good they are as a bass amp, mostly depending on how much of a "modern" sound you want. As guitar amps they were known for being loud and clean- that's why the Twin was such a popular amp with country guitarists.

John

5. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I've used a '66 Dual showman for bass quite a bit, I think yours is a later, early 70s model? I'd for sure get it sorted out if I were you, I'll bet you'll really like it if you like more 'vintage' bass tones (with midrange). I played mine through an 8x10, it was pretty loud, loud enough I thought. I liked it well enough that my tech built me a custom 2 channel amp with a Showman circuit on one side.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have owned several of them and IMO, they are great amps. the TFL5000D dual showman reverb came out in 1968 and was offered until 1972. by '73 the dropped the 'TFL5000D' designation and just called it a 'dual showman reverb' but they also added a master volume. to me, the ones without the master volume are the better of the two versions.
    they came with a large, front ported 2x15 vertical standing cab with two JBL D130F's, but could be ordered with D140F's as well.

i played a Pepsi/Fender battle of the bands at my high school in 1970 and Fender supplied two TFL5000D's (one with D130's and the other with D140's), two twin reverbs, a Fender Rhodes suitcase, and a Rogers Drumset. i played thru the one with D140's and i loved it, so i got my first one a couple of years later.

here's a pic of my current one.
    head (1969):

[​IMG]

cab (1973):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    I'm sure you meant Dual Showman Reverb TFL 5000D -- the letter d. In essence, a 70's silverface Twin Reverb --- 135 watts in head form. Heavy, and a GREAT solid tube head. Wish I never sold mine, I owned it as a guitar player and with a 4x12 it was just too freaking much. I'd love it with bass now though. Clean loud power.

8. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    They're excellent amps. I would pair it with a nice modern 1x15 or 2x15 cab.

9. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the TFL5000D was not 135 watts. it said 100 watts on the back but it was the same as an 85 watt twin reverb. everyone was into highpower those days, so even though the circuit was 85 watts, the rounded it up to 100. the 135 watt versions of the twin reverb didn't come until after the TFL5000D's, and they had a master volume. they also had a bandmaster reverb that was also called the TFL5000D. none of the TFL5000D series had master volumes.

i used to tell my friends that 'TFL' stood for totally frickin' loud. ;)

10. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    Cool rig John.

I used to play one of those back in the 70's along with an SVT Rig on the other side of the stage and a Rickenbacker. Karrrrrannnggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bassist:

11. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    Interesting timing to see this thread get a bump. I had to move around a few times and this amp had to sit in storage for awhile and I just recently snagged it hoping to use it as a guitar head(since I dont play bass that much anymore do to my hands). Loud(enough) and nice cleans is exactly what I'm looking for.

That amp looks great johnk_10, amazing condition. Mine is worse for wear and missing some minor things, but that is it non the less.
    Thanks for all the info, I forgot about this thread and it came up near the top of a google search. :bassist:

wow I cant believe its been six years...

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Not such a good idea. Talk about an unbalanced output stage!

Paul

13. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, that's one of the dumbest ways to ruin a great amp.

14. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Friday Harbor, WA
    Woah, John, how big is that cab? It looks massive!

15. Jim C

Jim C Spector#496:More curves than Sophia + better sound Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I have a Showman head (no reverb originaly) that was modified extensively by old friend Cezar Diaz; it had a great tone before the mods, and even though it was designed as a hot rod guitar amp it can still be very clean with improved bass ressponse

These Fender heads are great platforms for modifications IMO although are hard to find for $75 any longer!

As mentioned above, it's not super loud
    Given the choice I still prefer Sunn or Ampeg for an old school tube head but only because of more tonal versatility

16. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    you must be a supporting member to place a 'for sale' ad, and the amps section not the category to do it.