1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Duff McKagan Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mam1862, Jan 3, 2012.

1. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    Anyone familiar with this bass? I am looking to try one out and I thought I could get some feedback. Thanks.

2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I havent played the new one but I have an 85 Jazz special and love it. You can pick them up for under $500

3. taygunov

taygunov Guest

May 8, 2008
    its fender, its a p, its a j, its fairly cheap. why not?

4. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    It is a PJ bass with a jazz neck. Suppose to be like the 80's jazz special. I bet it sound good, the sound of the 80's! :)

5. Max Blasto

Max Blasto

Nov 29, 2010
    San Diego
    The Duff bass is a rerelease of the MIJ Jazz Special.
    I have a fretless model of the Jazz Special (85 near as I can tell).

Feels just as you'd expect: a P bass with a J neck and a P/J pup set. I like the feel, light and fast.

I did replace the bridge and pups from stock to Badass and Bartolinis. Major improvement!

6. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i played a used one a few weeks ago at GC and i was surprised that it had a p-width neck. it felt very solid but the setup and strings did not do the bass justice.

7. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    Thanks for the input. I am going to see if one is available to try out.

8. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I have played one a few times. I like it, for the most part. I mean it sounds good and plays good. The only thing I don't like about it is there is no way to blend pickups. I'd change that toggle switch first thing to a blend or another volume and isolate the pickups. Other than that,it is a fine bass.