fender ebay bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by societysfinest, Jan 27, 2003.

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2503730195&category=4713 . Check this out.can anyone give me details on this bass. I play in a fast/hard punk rock and roll band, and i play in a "dead emo" band. Reggae, blues, jazz, funk,r+b , and old rock--new rock all interest me also not in a band situation.Would this bass fit my needs? I just am not familiar with this bass, so if anyone could tell me about it, and if its worth what they are asking.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Those basses were made during the early 90s. They contain Philip Kubicki electronics. They weren't very popular, but the bassist of a local band (Operation interstellar) swears by them.

That being said, $600 for that bass is a bit on the high side, IMO. Then again, it's a USA Fender...
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    It's a Jazz Plus model, produced from 88 (?) - 94 before being dropped for the redesigned "Deluxe" and "American Standard" lines. The main features are pretty accurately stated in the ad - downsized Jazz body, Fender Lace-Sensor pickups, Philip Kubicki preamp. I won one on eBay about a year ago, and it's become my main bass. I love the feel of the smaller body and neck (the string spacing isn't too tight, however), and the electronics are the best part - a tight, punchy sound with a passive bypass that doesn't lose much in terms of sound and volume. It's extremely versitile, and fits a variety of gigs. The build quality and hardware are also very high

However, this particular bass is priced a bit too high. Even with the rare "Blue Pearl Burst" finish, I'd say they're asking too much (I got mine for a song - $400, but they average sale is still $450-$500). If you're not sure, I'd say wait and see if it relists for a lower price.

I believe Munji owns a Plus V with a sweet sunburt finish, so perhaps he's chime in with his opinion.