Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Elite 2 P-Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ojthesimpson, Oct 14, 2004.

1. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I'm thinking about forking out some big ones to get one souly based on my experience seeing them come in with some touring acts. I've never had a chance to play one (and with where I live and how rare they are that's not going to happen without buying one). I was wondering if anyone on this forum had an opinion and/or experience with the Fender Elite P-Bass.

This is the passive/active Bass with dual Ps pickups. It has a beautiful finish and was produced from 80-83. I've heard some amazing sounds come out of em at shows with an amp identical to mine.
    [​IMG]

2. awesome looking bass!

3. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    whats up with the neck? did someone just decide to finish only one fret?

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    They are very underratted basses.
    Sound great, different for reg. P-bass.
    big, more modern sound.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is most likely where the finish is wearing away, from the person who played it playing so much in that position.

6. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I had one of those for years, exactly like the one in the pic.
    I wish I had kept it.

They are built like a Mack Truck and play/sound great.
    I would recommend buying it.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    As with all things, it's very subjective. I had an Elite 1 for a while and absolutely despised the tone. The thing was bullet-proof, however. Solid as a rock.

8. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    ya but the rest of the bass is immaculate. and who stays at only one position let alone the same 4 notes on one fret.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you look closely, the first and second fret positions are almost as worn.

Hey, maybe he played in a blues band that played everything in D or A!:D

10. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    ehh... :smug:

11. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    My '78 Stingray has almost no finish on the neck and fingerboard below the 8th fret. The previous owner(s)? never really played above the tenth fret.

12. MO...This is one hell of a bass. I had one in the late 80's and ran my then brand new Sadowsky outboard with it. At the time though I was more a Jazz Bass kinda guy And like an idiot...when Fender introduced the '62 Jazz reissue; well the Elite went for a trade. As I look back...stupid mistake. And I might say a stupid mistake for Fender to take it out of their lineup (even if they only produce 500 or so a year...). I'd buy a brand new version of it in a downbeat if reissued!
    Similar (somewhat) in concept and IMO, tone to Lee Sklar's instrument.

13. I love my Walnut Elite II. It sounds massive, the neck is a beauty (ebony board!), and you can get all sorts of tones from it, even if I usually use it with the bridge pup off and the tone rolled off.

It weighs a ton, though.

More pics here.... www.jollybeggars.co.uk/bass

[​IMG]

14. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I really like mine, it is one of my favorites. I love the sound - very focused and punchy. The bridge pickup can absolutely sizzle. Quite different than a traditional P tonewise - the pickups are sealed like Barts and the preamp was matched to them. I've never seen one with the pickups switched out to something else - I'm not sure the pre would sound as good. The Elites are active only, no passive option.
    Controls are V-V-T, pickup selector switch, and a pickup selector switch assigned to the tone control (to affect either or both). A unique setup. Extremely well made basses - I consider them hidden jewels. Not really "discovered" yet - most people are still looking at the '70s models as vintage. Can still be had for $700-$900 off ebay in excellent conditon, and well worth it IMO. They weren't called Elite for nothing. Grab one if you can!!

[​IMG]

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have the single pickup version and love it BUT be warned these babies used ash for the body and are pretty heavy. Other than the weight, there is a lot to like. I really grew to dig the fine tuners on the bridge (tip: make sure if you buy one, all the fine tuners are there...Fender has no more left).

If you want one, buy now, prices are on the rise. 5 years ago they were still like $500, not any more!

If you want a sick story, brand new they were $1000+ list, I got mine for $300 new with case when Fender shut down their Fullerton plant and blew out all remaining inventory. Best three bills I ever spent on a bass.

16. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    thanks for all the quick and informitive responses. I'm going to purchase this from someone off harmony central.
    anyone have any experience going through that site?
    if you have anymore feedback keep it coming.

17. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Keep in mind that these have a C neck - 1 3/4" at the nut, though they are pretty thin front to back. This is pretty different from a standard P "B" profile. I happen to like it even though it's a bit wider.

I think the '57 and '62 reissues are the same - can someone verify this?

18. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    alright someone offerd me a G and L L-2000 for a bit less

would anyone out there say no to that?
    considering the tone Im loving was coming from a elite 2
    I just think the fact the L-2000 have been made consistantly for like 20 years kinda... makes them more appealing

19. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    You can't go wrong with a G&L. A bit different in the tone department - much more Kapow! Very versatile. I have an ASAT and I can only say I love 'em both - they each do what they do extremely well. Both excellent basses - I can only say the Elite is not as common. You can pick up a G&L anytime.

I hope that helped! :D

20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Based on 62 RIs I've tried, yes the Elite neck profile is the same, not a baseball bat like late 70s P necks.