1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Elite Jazz Bass V owners - provide feedback, and what does your bass weigh?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeeBass, Jan 8, 2018.

1. GeeBass

GeeBass Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2004
    North/Central NJ
    I'd like to ask all those that own specifically a Fender Elite Jazz Bass V - to list their basses exact digital weight, and what finish it is ?

Really wanting one of these (in Ocean Turquoise), but recent back surgery usually limits me to 9 or 9.5 lbs. max., as a tolerable weight for my basses on 3-4 hr. gigs/sessions.

I've been told by a large retailer, that weighs all of their basses, that all of the Elite Jazz V's come in at around the 10 1/2 lb. range - which would pretty much be a deal breaker for me.
    However, I've PM'd with one TB'er who has one that he thought was only 9.5 lbs. - which gives me some hope of maybe being able to find one in an acceptable weight for me.

So - please let me know what finish your Fender Elite Jazz V is - and what the exact digital weight is.

Comments on B string response/performance of this model are also welcome, as is feedback on the tone/response with the new ebony fingerboards vs. rosewood.
    Also - does anyone know exactly when Fender made the changeover to ebony boards on the Elite series?

Thanks!

UPDATE: feel free to also chime in on weight of your Elite Jazz Bass 4-string - as that option may have to be a consideration for me based on responses on the 5.
    Please state that the info is for the 4-string version to avoid confusion in the responses.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    kingmusicism likes this.
  2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Why are you Yanks all doing multi hour performances? Are they in the recording studio (session musicians) or is this some kind of live music in diners thing that we don't have over here?

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  3. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    My 1997 US Jazz V Dlx (the predecessor to the Elite) is 10.2 pounds. Black. Alder. Pau Ferro.

4. RColie

RColie Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I have an Fender American Elite Jazz V in Olympic White that weighs 9.6 pounds. I kept a close eye on a couple of retailers that post their weights on line for about 6 months before I found this bass. I don't think I've seen a lighter one since. I have seen a couple slightly under 10 pounds.

I also have a Fender American Elite Jazz IV in Olympic White that weighs 9.0 pounds. I think that's about the lightest I've seen in the 4-string version as well.

Hope that helps...

Bob