Fender elite neck on an MIM P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ben Rose, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Hey all,

I'm planning on swapping the maple neck of my MIM pbass with a rosewood neck. I love the truss rod wheel used on the Elite basses. Does anyone know if an Elite P bass neck will fit on an MIM body?

How about a USA neck? Or do I have to match MIM with MIM?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. photogdude

photogdude ustonsucs Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    the bolt pattern is different

3. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Won't work. Five bolt versus 4.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you can live with a jazz neck (I can't) and you can find one, the Chinese made modern player jazz satin has the truss wheel. I had one on a few different bodies and it fit perfectly.

5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. Bummer about the elite. It drives me nuts to have to remove a neck to adjust the truss rod. The MIM necks at least have the adjustment nut at the headstock. I'll keep an eye out for a modern player as well.

6. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    I have a Modern Player neck I could let go of. Send me a PM if interested.

7. That's why I love the MIM Fender necks...not sure as to why some people actually like the heel truss rod access...such a major PITA....especially the "vintage" cross-shaped nuts.

Headstock access made my life so much easier ever since I purchased an MIM P and sold my parts-P.

8. Sell me your MIM neck.

9. Plucker Tom

Plucker Tom

Dec 29, 2014
    Philly
    if the neck pocket is the same.?? cant you just make your own holes..??I was thinkin bout buying an elite neck to put on my j bass MIA

10. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
  11. Bluzman99

Bluzman99 Commercial User

Dec 8, 2016
    Corona, CA
    Affiliated with Fender Musical Instruments Corp
    If one neck is 20 frets and the other is 21 frets it will throw the intonation off. It would require moving the bridge to make the elite neck work. Hope that helps

12. Plucker Tom

Plucker Tom

Dec 29, 2014
    Philly
    Damn..Didn't even notice the extra fret...Oh well..there goes that dream...

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021