1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Elite owners. Still happy? NBD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ooba Tooba, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    DDCFFD5A-F6AB-4289-8993-7C9A03C7FB76. CEB42A9D-1044-45D2-905E-F9CD39838114. 92F8F755-CE94-4574-AB28-418A0F836040. 217399A3-A49E-48E4-BC0C-6DE71CB64A68. I love my elites. I have had a couple that I sold to get to the ones I have now. I know what you mean about some having a brighter or darker sound. I even went as far as swapping the preamp board from one bass to another to see if the sound would transfer to the other bass. It did not so I concluded it wasn’t because of the preamp. Never nailed down what it actually was and I sold it because it was too dark for me. I ended up favoring the ash bodies but still have an alder bodied one that I love also. Here are some pics.

2. Alessandro Cruz

Alessandro Cruz

Jul 23, 2018
    I mean... SONICALLY talking, is there anything real different? Like, let's say, running with same amps and cabs, do they sound different each other? Or is it just a matter of preference?

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Climb in value twenty years from now?

4. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

These aren't collectors items really per se, not like a pre CBS bass.

5. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba

Apr 30, 2017
    Sure, why not? 5 years, 20 years. Whatever. As long as they would hold their value I’d be ok with it. Hopefully I enjoy it enough where it’s value won’t even be on my mind.

6. The Deep

The Deep

Jul 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    3BE6E007-2BDC-4F8E-9042-4EDE1F3FB6D8.
    I am not a big fan of active basses, or PJs as a general rule. Though I do enjoy my Rays and L2000.

I love the compound neck on the elite, so I bought one and stuck it on a passive P body.
    It rocks.

My number one P and number one overall (of 30)!

skaine and Ooba Tooba like this.
  7. I wouldn't count on the Elites holding their (new) value, which is why my Elite P and Elite J were mint, but used. I've given up on the idea of basses going up in value, except for very special items.

oaklandthumb and Ooba Tooba like this.
  8. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Northest New Jersey
    I play mine exclusively with EGB and it's always a rewarding experience. The Jazz Elite 5 is one of my favorite compound neck profiles. AND I almost always play it in passive mode. One year old and getting plenty of action. I only wish FMIC made the Elite Precision without the bridge single coil. I'd have one of those too.
    413738D5-5802-4702-95B7-09C1604A3466.

9. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba

Apr 30, 2017
    Didn’t see this post, nor do I understand it very much. Thanks? Well..anyway, the original question was if current Elite owners were still happy with their bass. As I stated later in the thread, hopefully I am happy enough with it that selling it won’t cross my mind. Let’s not pretend that instruments at this price point are not an investment, however.

murphy and JRA like this.
  10. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba

Apr 30, 2017
    A reason I search for used as well.

murphy likes this.
  11. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    It's not really a Sadowsky rip as the the tone control only works in passive mode. In active it serves no purpose. I've personally never played an active/passive bass that didn't have some semblance of a tone control for either setting.

I personally couldn't bond with the neck on the Elite P and sold it a little over a month ago, I much prefer the neck on the Performer P. I'm lucky it sold relatively fast, I would've lost a good amount of value by selling right when they discontinue it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    murphy likes this.
  12. Trabeen

Trabeen Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Idaho
    I have two Elites and seriously have no idea what Fender could do to make them any better, they are lifetime instruments to me and I suspect that 99% of this Ultra stuff is just shiny marketing mumbo jumbo.

3D4714DD-9356-4B7F-B949-1FD6EE28FFC8.

13. I'll reserve judgment on the Ultras, but based on the specs and videos, I doubt they will make me want to get rid of my Elites. The Elites are very fine instruments, IMO.

14. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Ok if it helps my exp with fender american elite .

I am not a fender owner ,but invited to a fender dealer shop (my country only has one),to try out some of their basses and buy from them if i like .

The benefits was I could pickup 2 weeks eariler than public sell in iran ,which was not big thing for me .

This was when the two series came out American pro and american american elite .

I pickup a jazz bass from both series ,I Do not know the woods were same but the neck's woods were same .

The american elite was modern when pre amp was on .It sounds alive and has a good responses .The preamp was not very good for the price .
    One passive mod ,It got a little bit dark sounding and lost that Wide sound to more focused compressed darker sound .
    It was not bad but the Ampro sounded much better and clear when we were in passive game .
    Fenders active pre amps were not special at least the ones i tried.(Maybe their custom shop is different ).

So I do not see elite a good buy for passive player ,It shines in active mode and the passive switch was not make a same sounding pickup that AmPro had .

The neck profile got really better I mean compound style of neck made a different in feel .

Jon McBass and Ooba Tooba like this.
  15. oaklandthumb

oaklandthumb

Nov 12, 2014
    Midwest USA
    There doesn't seem to be any major improvements in the Ultra series. I had a deluxe and elite and the elite was def a better instrument, cant really see the same with the Ultra from the hand full of videos out there.

I'll wait for the 19 minute long YouTube video of jaded angry white dad in his basement/garage playing backing track funk review. There should be plenty of them before Christmas. Talkbassers will account for most of the views.

16. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    I bought mine as I stopped working at GC and wanted to save money on a "decent" jazz. I didn't particularly love it, I bought it because it was cheap.

It has become my favorite bass.

Ooba Tooba, mmbass21 and lowdownthump like this.
  17. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    That is a beautiful looking stage bass.

Ooba Tooba likes this.
  18. Still loving my Elite, it’s all about the compound neck and nice overall build. However, the pre and pups weren’t doing it for me so I went all passive CTS pots with Fralin 5% overwound pups, swapped out the tuners with Hipshot Ultralites too, all in all the bass is under 9lbs with no neck dive whatsoever.. I can play it all night, 4 sets long, super comfy and can go from Motown to Disco by just tweaking the passive knobs!
    I still need to check out the Ultras but I assume nothing to different although the Deluxe didn’t have the compound necks.
    I’m glad they discontinued my Elite, won’t be as common as time goes on....
    DFD134E3-AECE-4E70-86DC-7B49F64CDA1C.

19. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Just turn it off? Why would having just the Precision pickup and not the single-coil also be a benefit to you?

20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

you wanted to know about other's thoughts re: resale value in the future. right? (i was thanking you in advance for being candid in your own thread.) :laugh: