Fender expert? Need help picking a fender for rock/funk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonb9, Oct 21, 2004.

1. jonb9

Sep 13, 2004
    I've played many hi end basses, but I'm really digging the fender jazz. I've played a few 60's but the necks seem tobe all over the place. My question is I'm looking for a fender jazz that feels great and has a great sounding vide--the issue is Theres so many differnt fenders and most i've played (in my area) feel cheap... Can someone recommend a killer jazz bass that I can buy new, or something thats used thats got a great tone for rock and slap. ( there so many differnt jazz series basses--which ones are good and what ones are cheesy?)
    I really like the vintage white ones, or the olympic white ones... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a great day!
  2. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Well, I'm not a "Fender expert", but, I own a few of them--so here goes:

The best thing to do would be to try several different Fenders and decide which one feels and sounds best to you. I know that's a cliche answer, but, that really is the long and short of it.

I have Jazz basses both vintage and the MIM series. I like the Jazz over the Precision, although I have one of those too. I use the Jazz basses a lot more because they have the sound that I'm looking for. But I arrived at that conclusion AFTER trying out several different ones. Many people in this forum will go to war over which is the better bass, but ultimately, the decision should be based on what you want.
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'd get an MIA p-deluxe, but thats me :)
  4. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    hey, i have an american 75 re-issuse jazz bass... ash body with maple fretboard. the tone is deep and cuts through any mix. i always get compliments on the tone i get from it. i play rock, funk, jazz... seriously check it out man. if your looking for a bright and alive tone.
  5. I second the 75 jazz suggestion. Although I like the 62 myself. And they come in white!