1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender experts: help me ID this bass.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassnyc1, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Hello everyone,

So I'm in Japan again and I went to a local instrument store (Not Ishibashi, another chain called Yamano Gakki) There I found a beautiful P Bass which had a Tobacco Sunburst finish, Maple neck and fretboard and a creme pickguard. On the headstock, it just has the Fender logo and under it it just says Precision Bass. As you know, it usually says in small print "Made in U.S.A." or "Made In Japan" or "Made In Mexico" on the headstock but this bass didn't have any of that. I searched Fender's website AND Fender Japan's website and I can't find any P Bass model that incorporates all those features. In fact I also checked the Yamano Gakki website and it isn't there either. I'm sorry that I don't have any pictures but does anyone know where this bass is made? The reason I want to know is because I'm worried I will never find another one like it again but I don't have the money to buy it now (It's selling for 75,000 yen which is about $750 in US dollars) so if I know if it's MIA,MIJ or MIM I can look up the appropriate website and find a dealer who has one in stock when I have the money.

Is this a rare find or a dime a dozen?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any info anyone has.

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Since the mid-90's, the Japanese-built Fenders say "Crafted in Japan" on the back of the neck just above where the neck meets the body. Based on your description, it could be a '57 Reissue, but without pictures, I couldn't tell you for sure.

For comparison, here's my 2000 CIJ '57 RI...
    [​IMG]

3. Thanks for the reply, EricF !

I think your bass looks just like the one I saw except for the pickguard.

4. Anyone else?

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I think Eric's right.

6. yur silly...

7. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Price might be a bit high, or just about right in the land of the rising sun.

8. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    Based on your description, it is a '57 Re-issue with US vintage pickup and alder body. 75,000 Yen is the usual price for that. My '70 RI is priced at 110,000 Yen but got it for 50,000 YEN :D The lower priced '57 RI with Japanese pickup and basswood body sells for about 40-50,000 YEN. Japanese basses with US vintage pickup with ash and alder body are usually priced from 70,000-110,000 YEN. Those with Japanese pickup has basswood body making it priced lower starting from 40,000-60,000 YEN. As EricF mentioned, check the serial number stamped on the neck near the body. You can see there Crafted in Japan if it was manufactured before after 1997. You can check the year it was made here http://www.fender.com/support/japanese_instruments.php

9. Thanks to all who replied to this thread. I went back to the store and actually held and played the P bass in question. Turns out that it is NOT
    MIA or CIJ, it is Made in Mexico. I searched Fender's website again and this is the bass:

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0131702340

The Fender Classic series is actually the same as their American Vintage series except they're made in Mexico and there aren't bridge and pickup covers. I also found this model in Musician's friend:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-50s-Precision-Bass?sku=511318

They're asking about $700 for it so I guess the price they want for it in Japan is about right.

BTW: It was a great sounding and playing bass. The neck felt a bit less chunky than other precisions I've played. I'm normally a Jazz bass guy so this neck was nice except there was a heavy finish on it and I much prefer sanded down or satin finished necks. The fact that it's a clearance model over at Musician's Friend makes me suspect that this line may be discontinued? Anyone know anything about that?