1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender experts - is this the real deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sijjvra, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
  2. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    Not an "expert" but it looks right to me. Also overpriced.

3. You don't see those everyday, very nice.

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    According to the price guide, estimated value of a used 1976 Fender Jazz bass is $1,700 — $2,700.
    So yes, overpriced especially for a used one in Michigan. (due to the economy, prices on CL seem to be lower here than most parts of the country- yes, I'm also from MI)

For example, you can get a 1976 Jazz Bass for less even at this online store. (free shipping and includes a case) $2995

http://reverb.com/item/488-fender-j...m_source=SEM&gclid=CMat-tzay7oCFSEV7AodmHYAQQ

5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Overpriced? God yes.

Legit? Seems to be, but I can't tell if the tuning machines, pickguard, or pickups are original, the third because there isn't a picture.

6. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    Don't consider me an expert on this. I'm just comparing to a 76 P that I bought new back in 1976. I see red lights flashing.

- The case looks original for that period.
    - The hang tag looks right for that year.
    - The serial number on the headstock strikes me as odd. Here's why:

[​IMG]

I have one of the rare 76 P basses with the A-type neck. My serial number begins with "76" and has 5 more digitts, all of which are in the same serif-type font, all of which are the same size, all of which have the same degree of boldness. In other words, the numbers all look identical.

This bass has a serial number that matches the hang tag, but the serial number looks odd. It starts off with "76" and the font, size, and boldness of the "76" look right to me. But then the rest of the number is in a sans-serif font instead of a serif font. The numbers are in a smaller font size, and the numbers are thin, not bold. Nothing about those digits looks like the serial number on my original 76 P.

If I were considering this bass, I'd want to remove the neck to examine the stamps to confirm the dating. You want to be sure that you don't have a neck that's had a cunterfeit serial number made to match the hang tag.

I'd also wait for someone else to say that the serial numbers look right for a 76 Jazz. I can tell you with certainty that they don't look at all like the 76 P with a Jazz neck that I bought new in 1976.

7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Good call on checking the neck to confirm dating. There's also this previous thread on Talk Bass trying to authenticate another 76 Jazz Bass. Note the serial number font and imprint looks similar to the one in this thread so it's probably authentic.

8. Waaay overpriced...but not as much as the 60's J-bass that's in rough shape a local shop that the guy thinks he can get $40k for. :p

9. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    fender-jazz-bass-76-608057.

Here is a picture of a '76 jazz machine head.
    Note the font of the serial.
    Note how far the bullet truss rod socket sticks out.
    Compare to the CL listing where you can't even see the bullet truss rod socket.

Also, I don't remember the tuners saying 'Fender' on them in '76 but I could be wrong.

A picture of the neck heel and a better picture of the machine head would help, but you can simply ask the seller what the deal is with the serial number font.

10. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    The serial # (and font) looks correct. The serial #s during this time had some variation, but the lighter/ different font for the last 5 #s is normal.

The tuners are the correct type and the stamped "Fender"on them is correct.

The depth of the truss rod nut will vary, depending on how far the truss rod is tightened.

As far as the rest being original, the bass would need to be taken apart to verify the stamps and markings on the pickups, pots, and to see whether or not it has the paint stick mark in the neck pocket (or any other colors/overspray in the body cavities).

You need to be a supporting member to ask value questions, but $3k is in outer space for a 3-bolt '70s jazz. $3k is more appropriate for an all original early '70s 4-bolt jazz in very nice condition.

11. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    Thanks all!

12. lundborg

lundborg

Apr 8, 2008
    Tuners look good IMO, short shaft and Fender logo. The strange serial Number could indicate that it. has been deliberately removed at some point in time.

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    oops... forgot to link the other thread regarding the other 1976 Fender Jazz bass. Note that the serial number font and imprint is similar to the one pictured in the thread. As mentioned by theBrian- there is some variation on the font for the Jazz basses. It's likely the bass you want to buy is authentic. But yes, I think it's still overpriced.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/fake-76-jazz-bass-667965/