Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Experts? MIA P-Bass Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ampig, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

Just bought it on Ebay. It's an '00 I guess. Serial #Z0127369 stamped on neck. String through body. Truss rod adjustment at heel of neck. The neck plate says "Fender Corona Calif" There are no other serial numbers that I can see stamped on the hardware. Is this indicative of a '00 MIA P-Bass? This last fender I owned was 70's vintage and authentication was totally diferent. I just want to make sure I've got the real article.

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'm no Fender expert, but I do own an '03 MIA Jazz. The only serial number I know of is the one on the neck.

Edit: That serial number seems right for an '00.
    :bassist:

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
  4. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    You can call Fender and verify everything about your bass with that serial number. It is MIA because those serial numbers start with a Z. By the way how much did you pay for it?

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'm sure it's been said a lot here, and more to it than this for the 70's/60's, but...

Z = [20]00's
    N = 90's (Nineties)
    E = 80's (Eighties)

Then the first number after that is the year it was made.

Z1...= 2001
    N9...= 1999

Just a clarification. :smug:

BTW, got any pics?

6. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

Dose the neckplate sound right?

BTW - I paid $550 w/ a new TKL hardshell case.

7. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA

The neckplate seems right to me. That's where it was manufactured (I think...). That's not a bad deal, either.

8. sound like the deal i got on my 01 mia P ( no case though) great bass its my main player.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup. American Series from 2000. Essentially the current P bass, MIA. Let's have a gander.

10. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
  11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I expect a MIA P-Bass I bought off of ebay to be delivered Fri 4/30, just in time for my Friday night gig. Sounds like a good deal to me, I paid the same for mine w/the OHSC. :cool:

I have'nt had a fretted P-Bass for a while, I'm quite excited to get it. It probably won't take my Q-4's "main stage bass" slot, but you never know. I played my old fretted P-Bass and my fretless P-Bass exclusively for many years. My first good bass was a Precision. While I own a few Jazz basses and love their sound and feel very much, I personally prefer the sound and feel of the P-Bass. Simple, rugged, and great sounding. IMHO, you made a great choice. :bassist:

Thanks to Paul A for the mrgearhead site. I'm looking forward to find out what year mine was made. :)