1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Experts, please vet this 66’ Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kirk Bryant, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    The nut looks different from pic 2 to pic 4. That looks like a jazz nut in pic 4...

2. Wear looks fine to me. You also can't see the 'money spot' on the back of the neck but there is definite discoloration around the nut and the edges near the pocket.

3. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    604A4D33-C85A-4CBE-B78C-3F3E05B4A055. 23066C63-32A4-4E22-81EE-6C2DBE248EE7. 063C1ACF-CB21-4E28-A02B-593F11A56660. BA5E2D94-FAD5-4D12-8AEB-AD876624CF70. 69ACB794-0129-4339-897D-85388E1A3962. My 66. The wear is natural. Gradual wear between areas, not unnaturally induced. Finish checking on the clearcoat. (Neckplate edited to cover serial number). I use this bass a lot, and although it has a nitro finish with a factory applied clearcoat, I don’t have those harsh gradations where where it begins and ends. To me, that is evidence that the bass in OP’s pic has been artificially worn. It appears to have been attacked with sandpaper, not forearm wear. The 9.5# weight could also be suspect, but I imagine a few heavier bodies left the factory in that timeframe.

Ghastly, bobyoung53, FenderB and 2 others like this.
  4. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Just a thought: could it be an 'A' neck?

5. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    That's a much cleaner example. I get what you say about harsh gradations but sometimes they did wear that way. Check the arm wear on this one, it was not artificially worn:

'62 Jazz Detail1.

That said, you are right to be cautious! People have gotten really good at faking them.

On the weight, getting into '65, '66, some were pretty heavy. I had 2 '65 Jazz Basses which were both 9.5 or heavier. Had another that was much lighter...

roogbass and JIO like this.
  6. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I've seen tons of hard-gigged guitars back in the day before anyone wanted something "relic'd" that looked as worn if not more worn than the OP, and that was 30-40 years ago. People didn't baby their instruments back then like they do now. They were tools to get a job done and you'd almost always find a bass like that propped up in a corner in a studio somewhere.

ajkula66, DJ Bebop and davidprice like this.
  7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    @Kirk Bryant Looks like reverse lollipop tuners, which I think (not sure) stopped in '64...

8. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    Those are reverse Klusons. Jazz Basses switched to 'lollipops'/'egg keys' in '66. They (lollipops) were occasionally used on P-basses but common to see the reverse Klusons on P-basses into '68 or so.

9. I through this in, just to make tummies hurt..
    IMG_3010.JPG

10. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    This is why unaltered originals are worth so much! ;)
    At least the finish wasn't sanded off and it doesn't have a Badass 1 bridge countersunk...

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'm looking at the same pics you are and I can see that the neck finish is worn off.

Kirk Bryant and JMarkD like this.
  12. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I really only looked at the reverse action. But if you are saying P had reverse tuners in '66 then its good news for the OP, I guess...

davidprice likes this.
  13. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Not on the frets

14. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Nothing wrong there... It’s right up my alley!

bobyoung53 and DJ Bebop like this.
  15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    What exactly do you mean about the frets? They look to be the proper small size frets, could have lived with flats all or most of it's life.

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  16. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Well as much body rash as it has, I would expect the fret board to have some significant signs of wear. But maybe not. That's why I asked.

mikeswals likes this.
  17. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Here's a 66 belonging to @JIO. It looks pretty similar, no?
    [​IMG]
    Many other examples with similar wear can be found here-- SHOW YOUR DISTRESSED FINISHES!
    It's a big thread, with many excellent examples of natural wear and some less than excellent examples of other wear, but post #2370 is especially interesting...
    In short, different things are different, and, conditions vary. ;)

DJ Bebop and davidprice like this.
  18. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Kirk - it looks legit to my eyes. There are a few ways to confirm this but it would mean taking the neck off (to see date on the heal & neck pocket) and a tuner off (to see the bevel-holes underneath). As already noted, must haves include - reverse tuners with minimal worm-gear threading, pearl dots, hootenanny peg on the back of the hs, threaded saddle bent-plate bridge and the white-yellow Fullerplast base-coat used to homogenize disparate wood sections when doing the 3TSB finish.

fullsizeoutput_9cd.

fullsizeoutput_301.

fullsizeoutput_6bc.

Ghastly, DJ Bebop and davidprice like this.
  19. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    Good info. Those bevel/relief holes started in '64. The plates on the tuning machines changed around that time as well (from drilled to punched).

DJ Bebop likes this.
  20. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Or re-fretted by a good luthier - when I first played my very distressed '66 I couldn't believe what good shape the frets were in. I learned later that it had be more recently re-fretted in the 'cash register' (most played frets - a partial fret-job) I still can't tell the difference upon scrutiny. Basses that are (usually professionally) played require maintenance.

But living/being played its 50+ years with flats for sure will keep frets in good shape.

DJ Bebop and davidprice like this.