Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender experts - tell me about the 57RI P neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Feb 20, 2003.

1. i've been interested in ordering a japanese (not to be confused with MIJ ;)) 57 reissue. i've heard the necks are pretty thick/wide. i could deal with that, but i recently heard that the fretboard was a "slab" as in, flat, no radius. that's a big turnoff. is it true?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nope. At 7.25" (I think) it's rounder than almost all modern basses, including the current production Precisions (9.5").

3. oh, sweet. also, how does the glossiness/stickyness compare to, say, a rickenbacker?

4. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I love mine although it is considerably chunky compared to a jazz or even a 62 reissue P. The gloss can be a bit sticky but since I don't sweat much it's never been a problem. What I have found surprisingly is it has been the most stable neck I've ever encountered on a Fender. My 57 has required less adjustment than any other Fender I've owned even when changing from light gauge rounds to heavier flats. It's my desert island bass.

5. yeah, i was kinda hoping for something that wouldn't complain much if i switched from rounds to heavy fender flats. i guess since warwick necks don't bother me i'd probably be fine with the thickness. and since i play an acoustic guitar with a finished neck, i figure i'd get used to the gloss.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Judging by a number of owner comments over at the Fender Forum, there's variety in the neck profiles of the '57 RI basses (but not width: that is constant at 1.75" at the nut). Some (like me) got one with a *relatively* shallow (for a P-bass) profile, others have rather chunky ones.

Again, I say relatively shallow. I compared my '57 RI neck with that on my old '64 P-bass, the latter having a baseball bat neck.