1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Experts: Value of a 1978 Fender Musicmaster in Good Condition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garmenteros, May 8, 2010.

1. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I just got a hold of a 1978 musicmaster bass (according to the serial numbers S 839565) for sale and was wondering what value does this have on the vintage market. Its black (as far as I can tell original finish according to the owner) with a black pickguard as well. Fretboard is rosewood with dots and neck appears to be maple. The finish is in good shape, excellent except for a small area above the bridge where someone appears to have damaged the paint by trying to clean or smooth out a some scratches. The bass has an F logo neck plate.

The only thing that struct me as odd is the single lip stick pickup as opposed to the mini precision like split pickups. All the other mustangs I've seen have this type of pickup. My 69 had this type of pickup.

Anyways here are pictures: (sorry for the crappy cellphone pics)
    IMG00443.
    IMG00440.
    IMG00441.
    IMG00445.
    IMG00438.

2. BenGrim

BenGrim

Feb 3, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    It's not a Mustang. It's a Musicmaster. (says so on the headstock.)

It may not be a 78. S8 means it was made from 77-83.

In America it would be worth anywhere from $300-800 depending on condition and originality. I would guess yours to be about $500.

3. ^

It is a Musicmaster. The pickup is correct because thats what musicmasters had. There less desirable then mustangs. There hard to sell more then 500-600$ in fact i dont think i have seen one sell for more then that, i have seen ones posted at 800$ but they never sold.

I would post it at 600$, but probably would except all the way down to 450$ because there is just not much market for them.

4. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    It sounds halfway decent, but I think I'll pass... I thought the musicmaster was some mustang special edition but wasn't sure. Didn't know fender had more than one short scale bass besides the VI.

5. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Fender has had a bunch of shortscale basses :eyebrow:...

6. there is now a fender musicmaster in the classifieds in blue with a pearloid pickguard which i know was only offered for one year 1971, pretty rare. So if your looking for one of these i would go for that one.

The thread title is like "quad bass sale" i think.

7. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks for looking out man :). I actually saw it, but I'm already taken for a Musicmaster...

[​IMG]
    (I'm aware that it needs a new knob :ninja:)

8. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    thx for the heads up... I'd get it if it were near home and it wouldn't have to be shipped down here which costs me about 200$. I think I'm getting the black musicmaster if the seller takes 150 or less, as I don't really need it, but hey its a vintage fender... I've got a vintage short scale aria I'm trying to get rid of, so I might have to think about that as well...