Fender fans...Which would you rather have?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greendayjustin, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Would you rather have a '57 or '62 reissue Fender p bass and why?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would probably take a 62. I like the pickguard better. But I do like a maple 57. I dunno. Either of those is worth more than my vehicle.

3. I would go for the '62 reissue because, I really like Rosewood boards. I also think they look nice.

Truth be known, I would rather have the Vintage 62 P, but that's out of my price range for now. :crying:

4. To me one of the best bass sounds in the world is a P-Bass with a maple board...

Duck Dunn
    George Porter Jr
    Geezer Butler
    Chuck Rainey

...and on and on...

give me a '57 P, and short of that, one black '57 RI please!

:) Treena, this may be the first thing we actually disagree on!
  5. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I would think you couldn't go wrong with either. It would really be a matter of which you liked the look of better.
    Personally, I like BOTH.
  6. definitely the '57 with the anodized aluminum pickguard. plus, those colors are just so sweet. very pretty bass.

7. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I'll take the 62 Ri because I already own a 57' :D

the 62 Pbass a REAL Rock machine! :bassist:
    Matched with ampeg CL it's pure rock tone.
  8. I haven't played the '62, but I did play the '57 one week ago.

An old friend of mine had a '65 Precision, so I know what a Pre-CBS P-bass sounds like; this '57 reissue was right there. If I wasn't looking for a good 5 sting right now I would have bought it right there.

I imagine the '62 is just as nice. Looks wise, I'd prefer the '62 becauase like Treena, I like rosewood boards.

If it were a present, either one would do. ;)

Everyone should put these basses on your list to be checked out.

9. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I always liked the 57, Black with Gold Pick Guard, Maple neck
  10. I prefere the 62'. I am a big Jamerson fan and also rosewood and sunburst, well it don't get better than that. I might be wrong but isn't the 57 got a slightly different head stock shape, could just be me. I guess it comes down wether you prefere maple or rosewood, both amazing basses.
  11. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    57' because Sting has one?
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I just bought a new MIA 2002 and got the chrome, the PG, and SHAZAM! Instant '62! But it is a great instrument too. Now, I want a '57 look-alike.
  13. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'd get a '62 RI cause I'm a Jamerson fan, Sunburst and Rosewood is the way to go, although I'd get either a Sting or a '51 RI for the Maple P-Bass feel.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If you are looking for a good 5 string i highly recommend a trip over to brooklyn to check out Sadowsky. Hows things going for you?
  15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    What neck do you like?
    Maple or Rosewood.
    other than pickguard, only difference.
    I have owned both.
    Rosewood with Flats.
    Maple with Roundwounds.
  16. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I was thinking of the wrong bass.
    Still go for 57"
  17. I kinda like the 57 myself.
  18. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, like others, I would totally dig having the set. But, I'm mostly a rosewood man, so it would be the '62, maybe in black or Olympic White. The sunburst looks nice, but the black and white slay me. 'Course I'm mainly playing my black '78 which has the black pickguard and rosewood fretboard, and sometimes I just like to look at it.