Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender,Fender,Fender!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, May 28, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I have done a search here and see a lot of possible causes for my problem, which is a floppy B String on Fender basses.

I have a Fender USA five that I love the tone on,but the B sucks:spit: I have seen from just this forum that the problems could be the following

1: my technique
    3: the magnetic pull of the pickup on the string
    4: Fenders Q/C...ETC.

like I said, I love the sound of Fender basses, but could someone please tell me why some people can get a Fender five, wheather its a deluxe, FMT, what-ever,,,and have no problems with their b string what so ever, and others have to actually just get rid of their bass because nothing seems to fix the problem??

I dont think I have heard of this kind of thing going on with other basses, but I could be wrong, there has got to be a common cause for this problem I would hope, vs the "some Fenders are good basses and some are not" please advise:bawl: :confused:

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Here's a little trick. Take a piece of copper tube that is just a little thicker than your B string. Run your B string through the tube and then insert the string through your bridge. This makes the B string a little longer and adds a little bit more tension to it.

Here's a crappy diagram. B is the bridge, [] is the tube, and the 0 is the ball end of the string.
    B[_]-0

This works for top loaded bridges, but I don't know how well it works for string-thru bridges.

3. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    You could try replacing the bridge with one that allows you to string through body. The best thing that Fender could do is finally design a bass with a 35" scale, then again it took them forever to design five string basses. Anyway, that would be my suggestion, although the previous suggestion is certainly cheaper and easier to implement.

4. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    "Here's a crappy diagram. B is the bridge, [] is the tube, and the 0 is the ball end of the string.
    B[_]-0 "

Hey Jive1, thanks for the info, but I could not see how to download your pics? did I miss something?

Never mind, I looked at the pic again, I get it now, thanks!!!!
    Peace

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I just got a USA Standard jazz 5 & the B is killer.

Try this. Make the action alittle higher then you normally like & use a B string that has a Taperd Core.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Buy stiffer strings. For the one thousandth time, given any two basses of the same scale length, strung with the same strings, and tuned to the same note (say, B), the string tension will be exactly the same. The floppiness of the string is most affected by the construction of the string itself. If you want stiffer strings, buy stiffer strings.

7. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    thanks nino, btw, what gauge/brand tapered would you suggest.

8. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Your quote
    "Buy stiffer strings. For the one thousandth time, given any two basses of the same scale length, strung with the same strings, and tuned to the same note (say, B), the string tension will be exactly the same. The floppiness of the string is most affected by the construction of the string itself. If you want stiffer strings, buy stiffer strings."

I am using DR meduim lite stainless steel now, I was told those are pretty stiff? do you have a particular brand/gauge in mind??

Thanks

9. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    If you like DR's try Low-Rider SS and Low-Rider NP with a .130 B string. Nice tight B. Even the Marcus set with a .130. For me, I can hear the pitch of these B strings when played acoustic. And if I can hear them that way, I know it will sound good amplified.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm using Sadowsky Standard gauge strings (.045/.065/.085/.105/.128). I've also used Ken Smith Taper Core Med-5 strings. They were nice also. This set had a tapered B, E, A & I thing D. Personally, I'd het justa tapered B.

I'm on the DR site & I don't see a Med/Lt 5 string set. I'm assuming that the guages are 45/65/80/100/120. If so, I would go a little heavier.

11. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    "Buy stiffer strings. For the one thousandth time, given any two basses of the same scale length, strung with the same strings, and tuned to the same note (say, B), the string tension will be exactly the same. The floppiness of the string is most affected by the construction of the string itself. If you want stiffer strings, buy stiffer strings."

False!! You can say it however many times you want it still isn't true. Different strings/different companies have different tensions. Check into some info on Thomastik_Infeld strings to get the scoop. Most string companies do not post their tensions but trust me it's true. That is why you ahve to adjust your neck when changing string brands (usually) because different tensions will oull more or less on the neck!! What you are describing as "stiffer" is the tension.

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Don't do this if you expect it to raise the tension. It won't. The four interacting elementsof the string tension-pitch equation are:
    1. the speaking length of the string (between nut and bridge saddle (except when fretting))
    2. the unit mass of the string. This is the mass per unit length. While this is directly related to string guage, it is true that different manufacturers will have different unit mass with the same string guage (which is a measurement of the string outside diameter).
    3. The tension the string is being held at
    4. the pitch produced by the string

Changing the length beyond the speaking portion of the string will not change the tension.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44591
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65341&perpage=20&pagenumber=5
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45911
    http://www.daddario.com/pdffolder/Tension_chart.pdf

13. He said "with the same strings". ;)

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nice bass Nino. :) The "B" on my Fender is quite nice also.

15. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    So he did!! I suppose I should read more carefully. I now understand his point and agree 100%!!

It's amazing how just reading somethign correctly will change the whole meaning! :)