1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender finally impressed me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XtheDeadPawn, Aug 3, 2012.

1. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
  2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Ehhh not for me...They had one in my local GC.

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Dude, you've really got a hatred for Fender, huh?

4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Yeah man its just some pieces of wood with strings on it..

5. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Yes. Yes I do.

6. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The upper frets are like your appendix.

7. To each his own, but.....

Looks to me like Fender is going after the 'Fenderbird' market....

8. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    XtheDeadPawn is it that a good MIA Fender has always been out of your reach? Are you more of a Dean guy?

9. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I'm more of an ANTI-Everybody else guy.

I only like certain models like ATK's (I own one), Ray clones in general, and yes the Fender clones. Would I ever pay major dough for a MIA? NO! I'd rather use that money for a Warwick Vampyre or Sandberg P/MM. I just hate Fenders because well... I just always have. Before I played bass I thought since they were the only basses I've ever seen that they were the only ones made.
    As a player I look at Fenders as over glorified, overpriced pieces of junk. Just because they have the most share of the market doesn't mean that their the best as a matter of fact I think they are some of the worst quality basses made.

My ATK305 is solid dependable and more versatile than any Fender I ever picked up. I guess for now I'm an Ibanez guy but, really I like to look at myself as just 'a bassist who will play anything that tickles my fancy' guy.

What tickles my fancy is a rather short list:
    Bolt on - a must
    Rosewood fretboard - preferred
    An eye catching body style
    AND
    No Fender or Squire logo anywhere near it

10. I've been a Fender Jazz guy for the past 5 years. I have 2 MIA deluxes that I love, but I have to tell ya, I just played a 90's ATK that this guy brought up to an open mic that I host, and I was VERY pleasantly surprised! It had the best feel, setup, and tone that I've encountered in a long time. I'm now looking for a ATK305, as fate would have it! haha

11. BTW, I've never even heard of an Ibanez ATK til last week when this guy insisted that I try his.

12. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    I think you're just as much of a marketing tool as Fender's name is - you don't listen with your ears, but rather let the name taint it for you.

I think this is spoken and proven easily because you linked to a bass that you haven't heard - just seen with your eyes.

No Fender or Squier logo anywhere near it? Grow up - life is too short to be an angsty teenager.

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I believe the word is hipster....

Also, if you think any Ibanez ATK 305 is even in the same ball park as any MIA (or MIJ, heck even most MIM) Fender you are clearly just denying yourself.

I love Ibanez (BTB), but the ATK is an entry level line and plays as such... and that B string... wow... it made a Peavey B seem tight, and I usually like Ibanez B strings...

14. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    Where were you in the late 40's when Leo could have used all your advice!! You could have altered the path of modern music!!!! :crying::crying:

15. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars

Hating something because everyone else likes it is kind of dumb man. If they were pieces of junk the design wouldn't still be made over 50 years later.

I'm not a fan of Warwick, or Ibanez for that matter, but I dont think they are Junk. You should probably get over the whole hating something to be different attitude, its not healthy.

16. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Mock me if you want I don't care. Life's to short to for that too.

ALSO how can I be a marketing tool? Have you seen some of Fender's sig. artists? Mikey Way, Avril Lavgine, ALL of Bliff Pyro (or whatever you call them), and Mark Hoppus? What have those guys done except sold a few million records? Sounds like to me Fender is just giving a sig. model to anyone who can move product but, as musicians none of them actually deserve it. That is only part of the reason I'll never own a Fender.

P.S. Also we should all know by know I am very comfortable living with hate afterall hate makes the world go round.

17. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Listen, I might not like their music, but you're right - they've sold a few million records, and have probably inspired many, many people to play instruments. That speaks quite a bit. So what if you don't like their music, or you don't like Fender? The reason why they're on the top is because of quality and proven usability. If you're trying to dispute that, then Fender must be a whole conspiracy to you.

By the way, I know a lot of people who laugh at the music that Slipknot makes, so you can have fun laughing at other people's music, but you're just as bad as them.

Oh, and I'll be the first to admit - if Avril Lavigne, Backstreet Boys, any of those people called me up to play bass for them, I would say yes. Actually, I would be honored to be asked - they're good musicians, and they're doing what makes them happy. Too bad that you can't appreciate that and you rag on them for having signature Fender models - so does Paul Grey, and he wasn't by any means a great bass player.

18. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I actually am a fan of Avril but, do I think she deserves a sig. model? Hell no!

I know alot of people who hate Slipknot I'm the only person I know that does anymore.

I don't hate on people doing what they love I hate on companies capatilaizing on that to make money off of poor impressionable musicians getting into music.

Just because it's a sig. model doesn't mean it's exactly what the artist plays they often got it mod'd to high heaven the store sold model is made of cheaper parts the only saving grace is a silly color scheme and a little john handcock.
    That's what I hate companies taking advantage of people who don't know any better.

Also if you'd take a Backstreet Boy to play bass for you YOU my friend have a little problem. They are WAY overrated. I've never seen one with a guitar or bass before either so that's another problem you'd face you'd have to teach them how to freakin' play!

Conversation over goodbye.

19. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    It is "John Hancock.". What you said is something else entirely. :bag:

20. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    I used to be like that. As soon as something became popular, I started hating it. Conformity sucks right? Zappa had all those great songs about brown shoes and plastic people, etc. Then I slowly began to realize that all the mo-hawked, combat boot-wearing punk rockers I was hanging out with were in uniform too. My parents were died-in-the-wool 60's hippies - neck deep in the conformity of non-conformity.

Over the last 20 years I have come to realize that hating things just because they're popular is just as dumb as liking things just because they're popular. The need to look different is just as ridiculous as the need to look "the same".

It's all fashion....

Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly fine to not like Fenders, but do it cause you don't like the feel or the sound or craftsmanship or customer service or some other meaningful quality. Don't base it on their popularity.

Fashion is stupid.