Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender finishes?...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madfiddler, Jun 6, 2004.

1. After saving my pennies for quite a while I'm about to order a Fender American deluxe p-bass V....

not to sure what finish to go for and I'm struggling to find images on the net

So if anyone can point me to images of the following finishes it would be appreciated!...these are the alder body options...

3 colour sunburst
    Black
    Chrome Red
    Candy Tangerine

....also could someone explain to me why there's a difference in the configuration between these?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/prodinfo.php?id=506&zoom=1

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?op=3&partno=0194260

Is the fender web site showing the latest model? Is the bass on the other site not the latest model?

2. i got the fender frontline mag from 2003, i can scan up the color chart and the pages on that "shudder" p-bass, drop us ur email and ill do it asap

transparent green looks nice, would prefer it on a jazz though :smug: :p

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    btw, let us know how you like that P five when you get it. I've been wanting to try one out but none of the stores here in podunksville or surrounding area have one in stock. btw if i were going to buy one tomorrow it would probably be an ash body cherry sunburst w/ rosewood board & tort pick guard. Yeah baby! :bassist:

4. thanks for all this...

I've struggled to get my mits on one of these basses and only managed to play a second hand one in the London House of Guitars (was previously The Bass Centre).

I know the Fender sound is an aquired taste and either people love 'em or hate 'em but I was impressed with it. Very, very easy to play for a five string, good string spacing and a lovely bottom B. the american deluxe models have got great reviews in mags....and the p-bass especially for its versatility with the P/J combination pickups.

As yet I do not own a 5 string. I have a passive Bass Collection SB-301 as a backup and my own custom built 4 string as my main bass (maple neck, gorgeous ash body with natural finish, crome hardware, twin kent armstrong soapbar pickups and pre-amp)

Wasn't sure about the ash body over the alder. I absolutely love my custom 4 string but at times it can get lost in the mix and I figured an alder body would give better mids and cut through in a band situation....the ash finishes on the fender are nice though.....

I've tried cheaper 5 strings, but I've always been comparing to my diy guitar and often I felt the finish didn't even come up to that or feel as playable with as much tonal variation, hence I'm looking at Fender and stuff up to the thousand pound mark (gulp!....that's a lot of money to me!)

heath_the_great...thanks I'll PM you my e-mail address :oops:)

5. yeah I found that already thanks...but it didn't have some of the bass finishes....also it would be nice to see them on a bass not on a guitar....I find it suprising/annoying that a company as big as fender can't show images of all the finishes they offer on each instrument....

6. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    black/maple fretboard.

7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    i'd go chrome blue or powder and put a black pickguard on it.

8. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i've also been looking at Fender USA deluxes lately. i agree that the aged cherry burst is the best finish, but it's only on the ash body. i myself like the black w/ rosewood in the alder bodied ones. it's got a brown tortoise pickguard on it which i think looks nice. try looking on ebay as there's always some on there and you can see the different colors. also, i think the 4+1 headstock is the newer version.

9. I've managed to confirm the 4+1 headstock is on the 2004 American Deluxe P-Bass V

The finish options are also different.

Alder options...
    Amber + Brown shell pickguard
    3 colour sunburst + mint green (isnt' this just white?) pickguard
    Montego Black + Beveled Gold Vinyl pickguard

ash options...
    Aged Cherry Burst + white pearloid pickguard
    Butterscotch Blonde + black pikcguard
    Tobacco Sunburst + mint pickguard

anyone know the difference between "black" and "Montego Black"?

...not that it matters because I like my "natural" finishes so will probablty plump for amber

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member