Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Flat ?'s

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kaybass1952, Jul 2, 2005.

1. kaybass1952

kaybass1952

Mar 12, 2004
    I'd like to put on a set of 9050ML Fender flats tomorrow and record with them later in the week .Is there any break in time needed for these strings ? I was also wondering if they would be much stiffer than the Thomasik Power Bass strings currently on the bass. Any comments would be greatly appreciated !

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sure, every string has a break-in period. But they'll probably be good to go by then if you stretch them out really good and rub a lot of sweat on them. And yes, they will be stiffer than Thomastiks.

3. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    Give em about 2 days and they should be stretched enough to play with. You might have to tune them frequently, but you should be alright.

4. kaybass1952

kaybass1952

Mar 12, 2004
    Thanks for the input guys. I should mention that I find Thomastik Power bass strings are much more stiff than their Flats . I'm trying Fender as Thomastik Flats are a little to floppy on my bass. I don't mind a little tautness as I 'm used to upright action , but hoping they won't be to hard on the neck (bowing problems or excessive trussrod adjustments ).I have an old Jazz bass but and the neck is pretty stable and settled and rarely needs adjustment even when I change brands of strings .But I do recall putting on a set of flats (Sound City- British strings circa 1978) that bowed the neck enough to make the bass suitable for archery. Scary stuff!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nah,. I don't think they'll be that bad. I have LaBellas on mine, which for all intents and purposes are the same as Fenders. I did have to tweak the truss rod a little, but it won't turn your bass into a bow.

6. I use both Fender 9050's and D'Addario Chromes. Both are relatively high tension strings. If you are moving from light tension strings to high tension strings you are going to need to adjust the truss rod (i.e. tighten it) to compensate for the difference in tension, it is a fact of life...the laws of physics. Once everything has settled in, you shouldn't have any problems. If anything, I find the tuning to be more stable than with lighter tension strings once everything has reached equilibrium.

7. Put Labella flats on my P- Bass and wow. Thankfully no adjustment was needed. They settled down within a day.
    I will always use the flats on the P from now on.
    Try it, you'll like it.

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

What gauge of Fender flats are you using? I've used the 9050ML's before, and liked them. I've also tried the 9050M's and thought they were horrible.

Even though the Chromes and Fenders are a bit stiffer, I still think they're pretty easy to play on.

I really like the chromes though :hyper:

9. I use 9050 ML's or D'Addario Chromes, I've never used 9050 M's. I also prefer the Chromes but if the store's out of them, I have no problem buying 9050's. I like high tension strings, very little relief in the neck and low action. 9050 ML's and Chromes both get me where I want to be but I like the sound of the Chromes a little better on most of my basses although my P-Bass clone seems to like the Fenders a little bit more.

10. Actually if you check the tension numbers that Daddario gives, the Chromes have less tension than a set of XL's of the same gauge.

11. They sure feel stiff to me. Not as stiff as 9050's but stiff, nonetheless.