Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender flats on a Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jun 6, 2004.

1. I have only ever played roundwounds on my Jazz, but am interested in flats. I have heard about TI Flats, but can't stomach the $38 it costs for a set. How would regular Fender brand stainless flats sound on my Jazz?

I never really let the notes ring out too long, but prefer to keep them coming. How do you think these flats would sound? Here's the setup:

Alder body
    Graphite neck
    Badass 2 bridge
    Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pups

Thanks!

2. I use Fender flats on my Hamer CruiseBass and my Reverend Rumblefish (Jazz Bass inspired instruments) and they sound great. TI's are relatively low tension strings and the Fenders are relatively high tension so if you're looking for low tension, spring for the TI's but if you like low action with minimal fret buzz then the high tension Fenders will be right up your alley.

3. My Jazz is set with low action and I can't stand fret buzz, so it sounds like the Fenders would work. This is good news because they are pretty cheap! I have heard that the tension can bow your bass neck, though. Have you experienced this? I have a Moses graphite neck on it. I am not sure if it has a tension rod since it doesn't have a headstock plate (though the adjustment nut might be located at the base of the neck against the body, so that I need to remove the neck to adjust the tension). Should the Fender flats cause any problems for a graphite neck?

4. Yes, the added tension can cause the neck to bow but I don't consider that to be a problem. That's what the truss rod is there for, to adjust the amount of neck bow. As far as graphite necks go, there should be no additional bowing. By the way, there is always going to be some fret buzz present. It is not a problem if you can't hear it through the amp.